ND5 XS2 cutting out/stops working

Hi
I’ve recently purchased the ND5 XS2.
I have it plugged into my router and I am using RCA outputs to my NAC 202 powered with a NAP 250 and HiCap2.
Everything was working fine and sounding great until recently where it has been shutting down. When it does shut down, I can still see the power is on, but the naim logo light is not on and neither is the wi fi light. There is no signal either.
This has been happening regularly.
I have reset it, unplugged it, tried everything.
It does restart again when I unplug it and wait a minute and is ok. The within 5 mins to 40mins, it shuts down and stops sending its wi fi signal and there is no light on the logo. See photo.
Any thoughts ? It’s like there is a short circuit of some description despite the power still being on.
The amps work fine, have them hooked to other equipment and all working normally.
Anyone have a similar experience or any ideas ? I’d appreciate it
Thanks
New User

Hi, that sounds like a faulty unit to me. I think you need to call your dealer and arrange to have it fixed.

I agree, if you are listening to music, and it goes into standby on its own then there is a fault with it.
Obviously if not using to playout after a while it will go into standby unless you tell it not to. (Settings//Other Settings/Auto Standby Time)

Sounds like a fault, your dealer probably carries stock, a quick call from your dealer to Naim, should get them swapping your unit for a new one.

I assume that like other Naim boxes, the green Naim logo should always remain illuminated when powered up, so if it goes off, something must be wrong. Or are the new streamers different in this respect?

Are you sure it’s not just the app standby settings? I think my Nova enters standby after a given period chosen in the app regardless if its playing or not, it behaves a bit like the sleep mode on a radio alarm clock

Thanks, I think that’s what I’ll do

Thanks Gazza, will do

No, I’m afraid. The app stand by is turned to ”never” I’ve changed it to different times, but no success.

No, on the new streamers (NDX2 and ND5XS2) the logo goes out when in standby, and only the power button is softly illuminated.

1 Like

Hi Simon, thanks for the advice. I’ve checked the stand by modes. I’ve had to pull the plug out to get it to operate. When I plug it back in and it reconnects to the internet, I can then access the app. I’ve altered the stand by mode to never turn off. Even after doing that, the streamer just turned off ! It does so with a click (like the one you hear when it turns on).

Then I am afraid it sounds like you have a fault. Best contact your dealer to get sorted.

Hi @naimnewuser, any updates? Did you contact your dealer yet? Good luck and I hope you get a good result soon.

Hi
An update.
I picked up my new streamer today. The supplier got me a new one as the other unit was faulty.
Great to know Naim, the supplier and retailer offered a great experience.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

2 Likes

I too had a faulty ND5 XS 2, it was a rattle inside when unit was tilted to put in rack which sounded like a loose screw. Unit still worked but dealer was happy to get a new one. However, I actually replaced it with an NDX 2 instead.

Like you, the service from the dealer was excellent.

My ND5XS had the same thing when I bought it. I took the lid off to see and there it was, a small screw loose inside the case and none appeared to be missing from the build. I never mentioned it to the dealer [warranty implications etc], but maybe Naim need to add an extra check at the QA stage - pick it up and give it a shake.

1 Like

Wow, at least 2 with the same fault and I assume yours was a recent build too. Yes, Naim may need to have an extra quality check.

Mine was ex demo bought in 2017, was a 2016 model iirc.

A few years apart then. I think mine was manufactured in April of this year if I recall correctly from the box

Mine was brand new
Straight out of the box !