ND5 XS2 - hi line or powerline

I paid the shipping for the reparation of my hi-line and thats it. Naim repaired it absolutely free ( they have changed the complete connector)

2 months ago. ( it was a lonnngg wait) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

It took 2 months to repair?

Iā€™d go hi-line first. Powerlines are best when used system wide Iā€™ve found.

3 Likes

Mine was sent back last week from Norway.

With regards to the cost of repair, we shall see. Before someone mentioned the free repair from Naim some weeks back, I had fully expected to pay for the repair as the warranty was up.

1 Like

Hi-Line.

While PowerLines are good, they are really an icing on the cake after everything else.

2 Likes

I think the answer to my question unequivocally is hiline! Best I scratch some funds togetherā€¦

2 Likes

3 weeks with the shipping, i was saying 2 month to say that naim always repair hi-line for free. @Mr.M

I think Naim should repair it for free for the life of the product until they offer a less fragile option waranty or not.

2 Likes

I have used my trouble free for years. Perhaps I am not ham-fisted enough to damage it. Either way I wouldnā€™t expect a repair to be free - why would I?

Aligning the pins can be fun, mostly a case of RTFM. Iā€™ve never had an issue with mine or had repairs done tbh.
However, it would seem as a courtesy Naim are gracious enough to sort them if they get busted.
Being based in the UK and living within an hours drive of Salisbury HQ I guess you take these sorts of things for granted.

If you dont manipulate the hi-line, everything will stay ok
It should be free because it is ridiculously fragile AND expensive.

1 Like

It is fragile but on the other hand, it doesnā€™t spontaneously break. Mine was in place for 5 years with 4 system rebuilds and no problem. It took kids shoving toys down the back of the rack to break mineā€¦ but even then, if the rings are just unclipped from each other rather than shattered, you can (and I did) self repair in about 20 seconds. Just line up the catches and apply (very) gentle pressure and it all goes back together.

3 Likes

True, and it is important to say that the plastic ring is not really important in the decoupling of the wire. You can let the ring broken and use the hi line without any problem in sound quality. The decoupling is achieved by the wire and the connector itself.

Well not so in my case.

It seems there is a particular ring, ring nr. 4, I think, that is under more stress than the others as it tends to be the one where the bend in the cable is more severe.

When I moved the thing with my fingers, that particular ring just cracked open and fell to the floor, it was obviously cracked before I touched it for it to just fall open in the way it did. My reasoning says that perhaps over time, the combination of heat and bending stress makes it ā€˜brittleā€™ .

Obviously, I donā€™t know the composition of the plastic, but it would seem that perhaps a more rubberised ring may be better. Therefore, it seems to be a design and product quality issue, not a ā€œham fistedā€ issue from users.

1 Like

Between those two - HiLine.
PowerLines are probably the last part of the system-tweaking (worth doing by all means)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.