ND5 XS2 Ripping SQ

dBpoweramp is reading the computer file holding the digital source not playing the digital source as a CD player would do.

Don’t worry you are on the right track. I have had great pleasure from my large ripped CD collection over the last few years.
One advantage of additionally having a streaming service is over the years albums have been remastered and also made available in hi-res so you will often find some better versions to listen to.

Is the Nd5xs2 not like the Core, where you can plug a Western digital hard drive directly into it? If it is, I would think that would sound better than leaving it plugged into the computer. My Core has a 3 TB WD drive directly plugged into it.

That is correct

Yes. There is usb on front and back of the ND5 XS2. Once all my CDs are ripped onto it I think I’ll just leave it plugged into the streamer but I’m curious as to why you think this would result in better quality sound?

I don’t know for sure, but possibly the computer is injecting noise into the path?

1 Like

I’ll certainly do a comparison.

1 Like

Serves me right !
Came to play a Qobuz 24/192 track and my system kept hesitating every 8 seconds.
After rebooting my hub etc. and giving Virgin a kicking without success I swopped a Devolo 500Mbps powerline adapter out with a spare 1gbit version I had (not using it previously because it was introducing some electrical noise) and now A-OK and all working again. (Better talk to Devolo about my duff unit/issue).
24/192 had still played OK from my local server presumably because the streamer and server are on the same hub so only affected the Internet stream so the issue was not immediately apparent.

Struggled to find Qobuz 24/192 tracks for testing although there must be loads (found Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue and Steve Earle - Guitar Town).

P.S. Has anyone noticed all latest hi-res releases appear to be 24/96.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I get a bit jittery when I see ‘remastered’ on albums. Some are good but lots are bad. All they do is ramp up the bass and treble. Can be hard to listen to. As I say, if done correctly they can sound great. Coincidentally, Midnight Blue is one of my favourite albums. I’ll give the Quobuz version a listen and I’ll compare it to my lovely vinyl pressing I have. Cheers for the reply.

Re-rip your CDs to flac via dbpoweramp. Recently I re-ripped 700 CDs (dragged out an old laptop to have two CD players ripping). It took a couple of weeks of evenings. Feeding CDs into a drive isn’t onerous, it’s a one off job and will solve your file quality and album art issue for the rest of your days.

I spent most of the time editing file tags to have it really clean and set up Asset to make two ‘servers’ available, one for classical prioritised to search by composer and one for everything else.

Dbpoweramp is better than EAC for example. Faster ripping and better file tag data. Dbpoweramp is free for 21 days but do pay for it.

2 Likes

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear with earlier posts…yes…that’s exactly what I’m in the process of doing. My question was originally about SQ comparing flac to CD. Thanks for replying my friend.

All good yes I think I’m guilty of scanning the posts and not reading them all!

I really like Asset and the ability to fiddle with settings to set up how is presented works very well

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.