ND5 XS2 vs - AURALiC Altair G1(1.1)

Sorry you felt that this was a political bias, rather than a socioeconomic one.
As someone who’s family comes from Asia and has good reason to have strong political views, I have always striven to live outside of that kind of thinking.
Please believe me when I say, my views are from ethical/socioeconomic roots. I fully accept the political implications of these views, but am
striving to maintain a purely apolitical viewpoint.
Going back to the original purpose of my thread, I am genuinely looking for a streaming solution that suits me. If that turns out to be Auralic then that will be the choice.

3 Likes

Absolutely understand.
Going back to the streaming solutions - having had the ND5XS2 and the Altair G1, I must say if I were to make a choice now, I would actually go for the Atom HE and admit I love its sound signature and would prefer it hands down personally, but have not tried with active speakers…

1 Like

How would this connect alongside my NAC202🤔

You could look at the Rose units. Well reviewed and South Korean.

yes, not sure you can on the Atom HE without duplicating the preamp section?

Yeah, I’m looking for a Standalone Streamer without any amplification elements.
The Rose unit suggested by @Neilb1906 is also sadly quite a jump above the budget of £2.5k🫤

1 Like

Okay, here’s a bit of a development.
My new Dynaudio Evoke 50’s and my Naim Fraim have arrived with my dealer.
He’s coming out to put the whole system together for me on Saturday 1st October and he’s bringing their demo ND5 XS2 with him😊

3 Likes

Nice work QuickSticks. FWIW, I’ve owned a Altair G1 for a year. A very good piece with a nice app. Altough Roon also works on both streamers. Anyway, I bought a NDX2 and my dealer sold the G1 before the NDX2 arrived. In the time between the two he lend me his ND5XS2. Since delivery took some time I had it for several months. I must say that the difference is that the G1 is more technical, the ND5XS2 is warmer. But I liked the both a lot. So I don’t think you can go wrong with either. The thing that’s great for the ND5XS is the automation between the streamer and the 202. You can adjust the volume in the naim-app. A big plus.

Well enough said, have fun with the demo!

3 Likes

I am now in a mild quandary. My broadband performance remains a major problem. Living out here in the wilds of the Cambridgeshire Fens, there is no priority to get the Fibre connection that was run out to where we live 3 years ago, activated.
Regardless as to how persistent our petitions are, there is simply no one listening.
Without Fibre Broadband, Hi-Res streaming is simply impossible (currently surviving on less than 3meg).
As a result I am strongly considering buying a new CD player…:man_shrugging:t2:
Plenty of preowned Naim CD products out there. Does anybody have suggestions regarding best models?:thinking:

Can i suggest doing a forum search for Naim CD players as they have been discussed in great depth in several threads already.

2 Likes

CDS3, CDX2, CDS2 are all very good and can now be repaired. CD555 are rarer but top of Naim range. I have owned 4 and all are very musical.

2 Likes

It occurs to me that I am being particularly dense re needing a DAC for a CD Transport, such as the Audiolab 6000CDT.
If I buy a streamer, such as the ND5 SX2, it will happily act as the DAC for the CD Transport🤦🏻‍♂️
Seems to me that I need to make sure that whatever Streamer I choose has this facility, killing 2 birds with one stone🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

The Altair has that facility but it does not have a digital out to use a third party dac.

Yeah, I just looked at that too.
Both streamers have digital inputs that could take a CDT.
Still need to demo them both, preferably here.
Sadly it will probably be acting as DAC only for a CDT at first, as OpenReach are being decidedly uncooperative regarding turning on the Fibre outside my house. They installed the infrastructure 3 years ago, but won’t activate it. So we continue to limp along with less than 3meg and frequently less than 2meg…:rage:

Lumin U1 or U2 Mini would certainly be worth a look IMHO. These are both dedicated digital network players; no DACs inside (just like G1.1).

1 Like

Well I had the chance to try out a few auralic streamers

I would buy a naim streamer if it were my money

Just more musical and rhythmic…

3 Likes

Kind of expensive for a half-empty box…

AURALiC pic is an Aries rather than Altair?

Even if Aries it’s still expensive ?

You’ll need another box to hear anything.