Nd5 xs2

It’s incredibly annoying when something doesn’t work.

In the early days I had a qute which had similar issues. Threatened to throw it in the bin many time.

In the end it was my network and now I keep things very simple that way. No extenders just one switch. The form help enormously with this.

My latest internet provider supplies a router you can’t access and fingers crossed that’s the best one yet.

Hope you get the result you want.

1 Like

You did, you said “p***ed off”.

I’ve been on this forum for a long time now and I’m not aware of any issues with the ND5XS2.

Dropouts are almost always network issues.

4 Likes

It’s a really popular piece of kit, very uncontroversial and very well liked

4 Likes

Ive been on this forum now for nearly a year since I got my ND5 XS2, and have read every new topic tat comes in, and can only recall 1 where it was a device failure, the rest were networking or environmental. The only problem I had was when I got a MESH, and the issue was that you had to set it up a particular way.

I’m intrigued to know what you mean by monitored internet connection. As I understand it ISP’s monitor all their networks. A description of your how things are setup in your house would be helpful, e.g.
Who is your ISP
What speed is your network
Do you have Fibre to the house, or cabinet?
Which Router do you use, and how old is it?
Do you have any other networking equipment such as Switches, power lines, wifi extenders
I understand that you are probably fed up with all the question, but just trying to help. In either case, please update this topic with any progress?

1 Like

With regard to other people having issues with this device any chance you can add a few links to those Topics, as I’d be very interested.

I have an XS rather than XS2, but encountered the same problems for years. WiFi dropped out all the time. IP address conflicts sometimes took hours to resolve. I tried powerline adapters. Mesh WiFi. Tried the trick Naim recommend, to toggle the DHCP settings. Nothing worked. I was about to give up on the ND5 completely.

Until eventually, I broke down and drilled enough holes in enough walls and threaded enough ethernet cable to enable a direct, wired connection between router and streamer. I have not had a single problem since.

Incidentally, I didn’t experience anywhere near the same level of issues with my two Unitiqutes. They’re far more stable, it would appear, than the ND5, when it comes to connectivity.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t believe power lines will ever work with streaming. Also Mesh is unlikely to work out the box in some cases as by default they create a separate network and certain broadcast traffic is not relayed across to your main router network so the solution then is to configure the Mesh as an AP access point. Then everything miraculously starts working again

I’ve had my ND5XS2 for nearly a year. I don’t have a wired connection but only use wifi for connectivity. My router is generic and provided by the internet provider. Nothing fancy.

My connection with Spotify and Tidal are solid. No issues. At most, I sometimes have some “pauses” (is that the correct term?) when I listen to some internet radio stations wherein I have to press “reconnect” which happens no more than once a day.

I know what wired means, but what is the other end of the ethernet cable connected to? Straight in to the router, a switch, a powerline extender or what?
Still not sure what a monitored network is. When I had issues with mine, everything else on the network worked fine; phones, Fire TV sticks, laptops all worked without issues, it was just the streamer had issues until I installed a mesh wifi system and removed powerline adapters from the network.
Two scenarios are possible here; either you have a faulty unit or your network needs sorting out. Your dealer should be able to confirm very quickly whether the unit is faulty or not. If the dealer confirms no fault, either they or this community can probably help with the network part.

1 Like

It still doesn’t feel like we’ve got to the root cause of @Barney1 and their problems with use of an ND5 XS2.
I’ve owned one and now own an NDX2 and I’m firmly in the “never had any issues” camp.
That said, it can happen and hardware faults can materialise but this should be easily checked and verified either by the dealer or by a loop back to Naim to check out the hardware.
I’d tend to agree with others comments here, it will often end up being something on the LAN or a configuration mismatch that is causing stability or performance issues.
It wasn’t clear if the ND5 XS2 was connected over a wired Ethernet connection directly to the router?
Typically the best approach is to keep the LAN setup as simple as possible and only take the complexity as far as your knowledge and confidence allows you.
I’m sure many here will help if we can, myself included but more detail in terms of setup would help, I wondered if the ND has the latest firmware and has had a full reset as one example.

It might be possible it is the radio station end. Is it the same time of day, and does it happen on all stations, and are these stations HD? The ND5XS2 along with all the newer streamers now have a 50MB buffer, so should eliminate a lot of perceived drop-out issues.

I do think it’s the radio stations’ issue because some never do this but some do. But it happens very seldom sometimes even just once a week that I don’t find it a major issue.

1 Like

I haven’t seen or noticed any recurrent problems with the ND5XS2, and I’d been researching it while shopping. I settled on the Atom and upgraded to the Nova. The Atom went back because of issues. I did need to do hard re-sets with the Atom at least weekly. The symptoms were the screen would malfunction and the volume wouldn’t show. My dealer allowed me to keep it while I waited for the replacement (Nova) which was cool. I’ve had the Nova a while now, a couple months(?) and only needed to re-set once.

With the troublesome Atom, at times I needed to do hard re-sets more than once. Unplug the unit and the router. Wait 5 minutes and plug in the router. Wait until internet is up, then plug in unit while holding in buttons. That always works. I did read once to also unplug the speakers. Richard, is there anything to that?

One simple way to make sure if the problem is with the network connection or the ND5XS2 when using a wired connection is to simply plug the ethernet cable into a laptop instead of the ND5XS2, ensuring that WiFi has been disabled on this laptop…

If the laptop gets an IP address ok and communicates to the rest of the network and external websites (like www.Qobuz.com in a browser, etc.), then the ethernet side is likely to be ok, and the ND5XS2 could be faulty.

If the laptop does not get an IP address and/or does not allow access to typical website with a browser, then the wired connection is not working as expected and it is not possible to draw a conclusion on the ND5XS2 unit…

3 Likes

Im sure that if the ND5XS2 is as inherently problematic as you make out, there wouldn’t be an 18 week wait on them.
Please take the above advice, liaise with dealer.
Dont give up, it’s a cracking streamer for the money.
Hope you get it sorted Barney
ATB

1 Like

For curing potential issues like @Barney1 has, I am great fan of the ultra simple approach: buy a suitably long Cat 5e or Cat 6 ethernet cable from Amazon (or elsewhere) and connect directly between Streamer and Router - forget the niceties and aesthetics; run direct, through the middle of the house if necessary. Probably other family member will allow you a grace period before they complain and chastise. You will soon know if it the device or the network connection that is the issue. The cable will likely cost under £20 and the answer will be obvious in just a few hours.

3 Likes

Hi Richard yes my dealer and me went through everything yesterday and both agree it’s the streamer that’s at fault I am returning it next week and have a demo set up for the sim audio moon 280D thank you and stay safe :grin:

Hi I am using cat 7 as I wanted to make sure the streamer would get the best possible connection and cat 7 is fully shielded its run straight from router to streamer with nothing in between me and my hi fi dealer went through everything yesterday and we both came to the same conclusion its definitely the streamer that’s at fault we have decided that I can return it so it’s going back next week and i have a demo set up for the sim sudio moon 280D thank you

Afternoon my dealer has checked everything and agreed it’s the streamer that’s at fault it’s a direct ethernet connection and nothing in between I’m using cat 7 cable which is fully shielded, it’s going back next week and have a demo for the sim audio moon 280D

2 Likes

When it works its brilliant but it’s now been checked by my dealer and it’s the streamer that’s at fault so have demo booked for sim audio moon 280D