ND555 curent wisdom - simple set up

Peter - you took the words right out of my mouth ! :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

You can rip to FLAC on a Core, I have mine set to WAV but portability of the rips isn’t a concern.

1 Like

This sort of implies you told your wife the S1 cost the price of a fridge. :grin:

4 Likes

That’s a good point Peter - if it ain’t broke etc and the CD555 is a fantastic machine. Streaming, as great as it is, can sometimes give way too much choice.

The simple pleasures of just playing a CD…

Hope you’re fully recovered :+1:

1 Like

Thank you James, yeah just struggling to get my smell and taste back :face_with_head_bandage: apparent olfactory retraining is the way forward :mask: Best Peter

1 Like

Great thing about the CD555 option is… get the two 555PS’s so that when it conks out/is rendered unsupportable, you have (a) either conked out yourself or (b) can pick up an ND555 at a bargain price as it is now superseded and with the 555s you are sorted. :grinning:

3 Likes

How about a 555PSDR on the CDS3 for now and see how you feel about switching to streaming in the medium term? That way you are placed to move to an ND555 if a bargain comes along. Mine is a 2019 immaculate model got for a good deal less than rrp from a reputable dealer a few months back.

I used to have a CDS3/555PS and a very fine player it was.

G

2 Likes

Blimey Peter, that must have been some fridge you were planning to buy!

2 Likes

I will second that - CDS3/555PS is very good indeed.

2 Likes

I have a CDS3 with XPS2 (serviced) and it’s a very good combination. I also have an NDS with 555PS and that’s amazing too. The NDS with 555PS has more detail and dynamics.

I have swapped out the XPS2 on the CDS3 for the 555PS and it takes it to another level for sure. More detail, more dynamics and wider soundstage. So CDS3 with 555PS is a hit for me too.

I have recently been mildly debating whether to sell on the CDS3 as there is a shortage of replacement mechanisms. But there’s nothing wrong with it so for now staying put and enjoying my different sources.

2 Likes

Maybe a good resolution for me would be sell the XPS2 at some point and get another 555PS. If the CDS3 dies then I have 2 x 555PSs for the NDS or can buy an ND555 later done the line.

This is the beauty of Naim. The kit you have can always be reused as you change your system.

3 Likes

Thought about that too but for context, a brand new ND555 and 555PS will set me back just over 15k GBP at today’s exchange rate. If I buy on the second hand market from UK (most choice, best prices), Brexit has killed any likely bargains through increased shipping costs and additional taxes.

I wasn’t looking to upgrade per se and I have no pressing desire to move into streaming but the offer that presents itself in the context of my ageing source no longer being repairable is quite compelling,

3 Likes

There is a saying.“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

Leave it alone. That’s what I’m doing. Enjoy it as it is. It may last another 20 years or more.

1 Like

What’s your power supply for CDS3?

Hi @Elfer , nice challenge !

To be honest, I don’t understand the Melco.A decent NAS with something like Asset is all you need and delivers on the quality. If you just have a laptop with a cd-writer you can rip CD’s in perfect quality and add them to the NAS.

You also wrote about portability of music to use elsewhere (I assume your car etc.). Qobuz can handle a lot of that for you. If you subscribe to Qobuz, you can download albums to your phone and just play them in the car (or a Muso or anything else with bluetooth). I do it all the time.

And even more: I also have a NAS and I have Qobuz & Tidal. I just use the NAS for music I already had but never add more music to it anymore. Qobuz and Tidal are that competent and complete, there is no difference in sound quality and in 99% of the cases the music I look for is available at Qobuz or Tidal

Just my 2 cents

Enjoy the journey and keep us posted
Iver

4 Likes

It’s an XPS2DR

It’s a good power supply. Why not just get the NDX2 ? And then sell the CDS3? Will save you alot of money and you would get a source of similar quality.

I would sell the Cds3, xps2 , Nds, and get an Nd555. You won’t regret your Cds3, neither your Nds.

And you don’t even need a power supply with the NDX2. You could keep it as it is and sell your XPS2 DR and CDS3 and pay next to nothing for the changeover.

Hi IvdZ. It was my understanding the Melco brings significant benefits in terms of sound quality vs regular IT type NAS.

1 Like