ND555 firmware update to 3.4.0, sound quality

Does that only apply to the ND555?

Hearing the discussions above makes me pleased that I’ve held off upgrading to v3.4 on my NDX2 and ND555 for now. Waiting to hear feedback from my dealer (he knows my listening preferences) on how his dem systems sound with the upgrades.

Not too fussed on Qobuz, and may stay at existing version if feedback poor (especially as reversion to last f/w version not possible).

Usually an early adopter, I’m a little more cautious nowadays!

George.

1 Like

Did Jason (who is Jason, sorry) say it will sound ‘better’ or ‘it doesn’t make any difference, so you might as well leave them all on’.

I dug around this question before and didn’t get a definitive answer,

G

4 Likes

I’m curious about this as well. I did try everything on last night and didn’t notice a difference. (My system, my ears etc).

1 Like

This is almost certainly Jason Gould, Brand Ambassador for Naim Audio. He presents most, if not all, the public demonstrations of Naim equipment. He is a master guru of system set up and getting the best out of the system.

1 Like
1 Like

I did a post asking the same question to Naim…nothing…i still only power what i use.

2 Likes

There was a marked improvement in SQ for me when I enabled all inputs a couple of months after I purchased the ND555. It seemed counter intuitive as with the NDS it definitely worked better the other way with unused inputs being disabled.

Also make sure you enable “server mode” under “other settings” in the app…also has a positive impact on the SQ.

All of the above tips were given to me by my dealer after he had conferred with Jason from Naim.

PS: I am also noticing a nice improvement in SQ following this firmware update…the soundstage has definitely expanded producing a very enjoyable “out of speaker” effect.

1 Like

There was similar improvements with Firmware updates for the NDS.
I remember there were two Beta versions out, for us, as Beta testers, to compare and contrast, then vote.

I would like to think that if the Naim Engineers are learning new tweaks for the DACs in the ND555 whether they will apply any improvements back to the NDS, given they use the same DAC technologies. Please?

1 Like

Hi @Leith
Are you sure about enabling server mode regarding SQ? Sorry to question you but had heard opposite advice in the past although don’t remember exactly where.

Hi @jsaudio

Always worth checking these things. I found that enabling server mode made a small but definite improvement. This change was made by me about a year ago and I remember trying it enabled and then disabled a number of times before settling on enabled as being the best option.

It was originally my dealer that prompted me to try enabling it as he had had discussions with Jason from Naim regarding it.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Enjoy.

There was a thread already on that for the new streamers. All imputs enabled is recommended by Naim.

Like @Darkebear , I noticed a change in the low end.

It’s not easy to put this into words.

I’d describe this as a symmetrical change. It seems that the Low end has been enhanced in the same way as the mids and highs did.

It goes deeper, better articulated, clearer/cleaner.

I’m not a fan of music containing too much “low end”. It usually ends up being a big mash…

Naim did a great job. Rock and Jazz track are now much more enjoyable. Symphonies such as the 6th of Mahler’s are a great pleasure!

I’m lucky to have speakers that can handle that.

2 Likes

Where FR?

Cheers

G

Another pleasant discovery: sibilance on some recordings is gone!

The firmware update had also an effect on some violin recordings.

…is this an understatement to express the fact there was a problem? :wink:

The very first seconds of the preludio of the partita n°3 in E, BWV 1006 (disc 2, track 10) were always unpleasant. The bow attacks sounded a bit like nails on a black board.

This unpleasant sound was audible with my actual speakers and the previous ones as well.

I tested that track on a McIntosh system, on two different Soulution systems (with my actual speakers) and on Sennheiser headphones. No sibilance.

That detail, and some others, made me wonder about the ND555’s acclaimed qualities… :expressionless:

I thought that this sibilance could be related to my listening room, system setup, etc.

My room is carefully treated and the system setup is rather ok (it could be better, of course).

By making that annoying sibilance disappear, the firmware update somewhat confirmed it : the problem was the ND555.

This is reassuring and disappointing at the same time…

The good thing is that, IMO, the ND555 now reaches the 500 DR series level :smiley:

3 Likes

In my system, with NDX2, not ND555, there is also a clear improvement with the new firmware update: greater amplitude in the soundstage, and better integration of frequencies, with treble and mids slightly more extended and, above all, tighter, nuanced and more controlled bass. It is not a difference from day to night but appreciable and significant. Fantastic work done.

5 Likes

In Nd555 impressions I think to remember

Apparently Naim has been reading the forums and noticed that several folks are moving away and going to other brands for their streamers/dacs. Glad to see that they are responding. Too bad they keep so quiet about it. If they said they had something in the pipeline, I might still own my ND555. Too late now.

Or perhaps they pay no attention to the forums, and this was something that they decided to do. It confirms that something was not optimal to me.

1 Like

I can understand why you moved away from the ND555…

I was pretty close to audition a CH Precision combo, which is in the same price tag as a 500 series system.

But didn’t. I like the 552DR/500DR very much. Wicked fast, silent and delicat at the same time. Brings life to classical music :smiley:

In my opinion, before the 3.4 update, the ND555 felt a bit like an unfinalized product.

Perhaps my expectation were too high…

What amplification did you use with your ex-ND555?

1 Like