ND555 firmware update to 3.4.0, sound quality

Link to my comment on a similar thread;

I recently bought an ndx2 and asked Jason ref any particular settings etc to use to get the best out of it; this was his reply. I’m not suggesting this will resolve your issue, but it’s possible that we all have our streamers set up differently. Without Jason’s recommendations I would have disabled Bluetooth and server, and others as I don’t need them.

2 Likes

Well if the new software has increased detail it could now be back in the running for me, as before i found it a bit lacking compared to Others.

2 Likes

Sorry to read your disappointment, the ND555 is indeed an expensive piece of kit.

A more resolving system can be disturbing, especially if you’re used to a smoother presentation.

And, by smooth, I mean with less of what actually is in the record.

For me, that lack of details was a problem. I even was thinking about trying something else (Chord, dCS, etc.)

But, of course, if for you that change is for the worse then your disappointment is very much understandable.

You could try placing differently your speakers or/and sitting positions. That might be of some help.

If not, then installing an old version of the firmware could be the only solution. But that would mean being stuck with a version of the firmware and not having the benefit of future updates…

I suppose the thing to do would be to contact your dealer, or Naim. They might provide with an alternative solution.

2 Likes

What is your system, cables, powerblock? If I may ask.

That’s a strange decision from Apple & Google. So effectively saying they don’t want their services to accessed via decent streamers? Are they planning to build their own?

You gave to jump through an awful lot of hoops to get Apple certification, and they are uncompromising. You either do exactly as they ask, or you don’t get it.
With the old streamers, Naim chose not to bother, which seemed sensible to me for a company that prioritises sound quality over convenience.

1 Like

Maybe Naim should think about providing the user to select different filter options, like DCS does with the Bartök. That way each listener can choose what “sound” they prefer, instead of alienating a portion of your customers. I’m guessing Naim went from a slow roll off filter to one that is much sharper.

Of course I can envision that opening up a can of worms and numerous threads with which filter option sounds the best.

A reduced sound stage is the opposite of what I’m getting.
@Merlin
Since the ND555 is the only item listed under system I presume the rest is not Naim. Hopefully you won’t get shot down in flames for revealing what, assuming it doesn’t break forum rules, and you might have an outside chance of some useful input.

Here is another most appreciable improvement brought by the firmware update: piano reproduction!

Attack, decay, piano resonances, and all those small details that make the piano reproduction more realistic have been improved.

The perception of the piano in the soundstage in now clearer and deeper (yes, there is a soundstage even with a single instrument).

Those two albums greatly benefit from the update, especially the Arcadi Volodos’ Schubert.

An overall great uplift for my system :partying_face:

1 Like

Although I’m only using a Nova, I’m in the doesn’t sound as good camp. For the first time everything sounds more closed in and muddled and the shrill top end is back. I’ve done various resets and and will later try an earlier version (3.1 I think) I have after 3.2 was released, which I also didn’t get on with. 3.3 was good. It’s a real issue for me and at a time I’m working out my next upgrade it puts me off sticking with Naim.

I’ve just done the update to both ND555 and iOS. Immediate impressions were not good, it sounding slightly distorted on piano and across midrange in general. However, something I learnt in the Beta phase was to give it time before making a final judgement on SQ. This is something I believe @Darkebear advocates too.

One thing I have noticed is that I’m still seeing the Beta widget on the app home screen. So if I’m using the release version of the app and then close the iPad and restart through the widget it opens another (beta) version of the app. Does anyone know if there any way to have the widget linked to the release version?

1 Like

I must admit I’ve never tried that on my NDX2.

Ah! yes frenchrooster, my system…When I joined I entered ND555 and then ‘return’ to start a new line which took me to the next box! - not figured out how to edit my system details! Jeff Rowland Corus pre-amp, Jeff Rowland 625S2 power amp, Atlas Mavros Grun interconnect & speaker cable, Uniti Core, Cisco 2960, Chord Music from 2960 to ND555, Naim Powerlines throughout, Marten Miles 5 speakers, Naim Fraim with various Isoacoustics Orea and Gaia isolators, Musicworks power block. I ended up with this having gone through SuperUniti, 272/555DR/300, 252/300/NDX/555DR etc. This update is the first time it’s taken a backward step!

2 Likes

Can’t talk about the betas or the ND555, but if you have a copy of the older Uniti firmware you can but Naim don’t make them downloadable.

A couple of firmware updates on the Nova really killed my enjoyment - from being immersive to sounding like background music whereas others loved the change. I kept reverting to 2.3.8574 from 2007 foregoing any feature improvements - then a release or two ago I could barely tell the difference and improved UPnP really made me stick with the new one.

In another thread with the latest update I immediately found masses more detail/high end and was struck by subtle rhythmical nuances coming through on albums I was very accustomed too. After some time however I felt it lacked warmth and was too clinical - Hannah Reid’s vocal was very clearly etched out in the soundstage but somehow lacking emotion I was accustomed to. Reverted to the old firmware and the ‘soul’ came back.

Next day I updated again and felt streaming Qobuz was miles ahead of the 24 bit FLAC on a USB stick in the Nova - weird (unless QObuz was giving me a different hi-res file a couple of years after buying the album?). Streaming from my old WD NAS the same purchased FLAC file was quite different again.

Thought I was onto something, then suddenly all seemed to stabilise and they sounded pretty similar and the warmth/enjoyment was back.

All very very odd, and I have to wonder if it’s more down to electrical factors beyond my control in the domestic environment as I increasingly realise music is better in the daytime, and goes ‘off’ when everyone arrives home from school/work in the late afternoon/early evening.

Frankly it’s bizarre how system sound can fluctuate so much, is it all our changing perception and mood?

That said firmware updates can affect sound quality, we’ve established this, Household Naim has excellent comments above, and sadly it’s just not possible to satisfy everyone with a firmware induced sonic character change due to a multitude of factors, not least different systems.

1 Like

The new version firmware has more clarity but will also cause problems with system-balence with some systems and may need re-visiting all the installation set-up.

An example - years ago I had my then 552 Pre DR updated - and I hated it…but eventually chased it down to the fact I needed to move my 552 closer to the front edge of the Fraim glass as the non-rubber hard feet on the ND555 were not making perfect contact with the Fraim glass - one of the rear feet had pushed the glass a tiny bit down more and the glass was vibrating against the other rear foot, buzzing - never heard it before but the more detailed 552 showed -it. Moved forward a cm and problem solved and the DR was great.
The same happened when I DR updated my then CD555 - and the same solution.

…but it sounded fine before the DR upgrade - the temporal resolution showed a system set-up problem previously hidden.

I mention all the above as sometimes I’ve found as I navigated my way through the Naim system hierarchy I had to re-look at things, especially when something revealed more information, like the DR updates did and IMO the new Firmware does.

This is meant to be helpful to some here who may thereby be able to fix a problem.
I’m not going to say it is the solution but should be investigated with open mind as it is free and it solved my ‘brightness’ problems at times.

The ND555 is a bit bright when recently re-booted several times for the Firmware update I found and then settles down and after a day or two it is more even and fuller-sounding.

DB.

6 Likes

I’ve mentioned it before, but always felt Naim could satisfy everyone by making older firmware versions available for download.

Users must then accept that by reverting if anything breaks (say changes to 3rd party APIs or changes to the Naim app) that they have to live with it.

We cannot have a situation where a group of people complain that they prefer old Firmware X in their system, but now want it ‘fixed’ because something has broken, or demand new features. From memory it was explained (or surmised) that the simplest change in the firmware code can affect timing of certain operations/induce noise so by even attempting to fix soemthing that broke in an older version you’d likely change the sonic character anyway so stick with what you like sonically and accept it’s provided ‘as is’ and only current firmware/App is supported.

1 Like

I’m just guessing here. But its not an unusual demand when using licensed code. Apple/Google care about compatibility with other devices using their protocols so they want you to use latest versions.

Whouah! Fantastic set up. Apart trying some softer sounding interconnects or speaker cables, I don’t know how you could compensate now. Maybe speakers positioning.
I hope you will resolve your problem.

Same here…

Like DB, I found a bit of a hard edge immediately after the reboot but that everything became more balanced and vibrant after around a day

2 Likes

Even allowing for differing personal preferences, what I hear on my NDX2 could not possibly be decsribed by anyone as closed in or muddled. I can only imagine that something has gone wrong with the update if that’s what you’re hearing, and I would suggest that you contact your dealer or Naim support.

2 Likes