ND555 - how much better than NDS?

An ND555 looks like it could be within reach. It would replace my NDS and be hooked up to a 555DR.

It will cost a bit more than my 252>552DR upgrade, and a lot more than my 300>500 upgrade.

Will it be worth it? I’m really not so sure and torn between pulling the trigger now and hanging back a few years.

I can do the demo but given my location it will mean posting a unit out and I really don’t want to mess the dealer around unless there’s a 90% chance I’m going to keep it.

That said if it’s as big an upgrade as my 552DR or 500 then it’s a no brainer.

Only you can answer that question

2 Likes

You will get do many negative responses…… @NigelB was in a similar situation having heard, but undecided……but hearing at home and settled it is a great streamer if you like what Naim brings in musicality. For me I heard it at Naim HQ, my dealer at a Naim demo……was undecided.
I had my own demo…….just a few notes on a piano and i was sold. Have since listened to many streamers and Dacs at this price point and way above……they are all good in-their own way…….but do not hold my attention and involve me in-the music.
Its a personal choice and system matching, if you like the Naim presentation but cannot home demo and the price is good, go for it.

13 Likes

I went from a NDX/XPSdr to a ND555 with 555ps in my 252/300 and Titan T606 based system having used the ND555 for a couple of years my ND555 I had acouplecof problems with the ND555. On the first occasion my dealer lent me a NDX2 and on the second occasion a NDS, this was the first time I had heard a NDS and after using the ND555 for a couple of years I was slightly dissapointed the ND555 in my system and to my ears knocked the NDS into next week.

1 Like

It’s a naim forum so you guess to only get the normal response and the silly night and day ones lol.
But seriously only you can decide if its worth it or not, plus many others around to try these days as digital has moved on very much

2 Likes

I would be very interested to hear what the nd555 offers over the nds

2 Likes

Thanks all for replies :sunglasses:

Thing is, if its only a bit better, once it’s in my rack it’s not coming out again. And that’s not a sensible way to spend my hard-earned.

I’m in that space listening to my system now and thinking it can’t really get much better than this. The NDS is a masterpiece imo. If an ND555 is only a bit better it really isn’t the right investment for me right now, I want a big step change for the cost involved.

4 Likes

What are you unhappy about with your current system?

3 Likes

Maybe maybe there are improved versions around the corner.

2 Likes

Nothing whatsoever. But I felt that way with my 252, my 300 etc

4 Likes

I use the nds/555ps dr in a similar set up to yours and find the system synergy to be amongst the best I’ve heard. I would be interested to hear the nd555 but am very aware of the price hit on the nds and that this will happen again with the nd555. I’ve decided to stay with what I have for now.

2 Likes

If you want a big step up, then like me you may find things lacking somewhat and so looked for alternatives and found it big time, or maybe the new products might bring results? But i believe there won’t be a nd555 replacement for some time yet as its classic range going new

5 Likes

You really have to hear it to decide. I never did that dem at home (I probably should have), but listened to the NDS at my dealers and wasn’t impressed enough to pull the trigger when I had the money, so I’m probably already in a different camp to you as you obviously love your NDS. The ND555 was way ahead of the NDS and a no brainer for me once I had the cash.

2 Likes

It is only a bit better, but one man’s ‘bit’ is another man’s ‘massive upgrade’.

G

8 Likes

Similarly, how does the ND555/555PS compare to the NDX2/555PS. Theoretically.

3 Likes

Just a few notes on a piano for me……so natural and engaging in my opinion.

3 Likes

I was able to listen to a side by side comparison during the pre-launch factory visit (mainly arranged by HH formerly of this parish) and there was a very significant improvement in the sound of the music when moving from NDX2 to ND555. It had to be for me to notice!!

Peter

6 Likes

It will be interesting to see if some hit the used market, or new ones are on fire sale, after the new product launches. Certainly out of my price point currently, and the used NDX2 value may head south too……

1 Like

That I do have experience of.

The 555PSDR does transform the NDX2 into a wholly more sophisticated player. In retrospect I wish I hadn’t bothered with an XPSDR on it, as incrementally the gains were more marginal.

The ND555 takes that sophistication up another level and with two 555PSDR it feels like a complete player - no niggles about any shortcomings.

G

5 Likes

I found the difference to be significant in context of my system. I was convinced that it would be otherwise based on demo at dealer showroom, but it literally took a few bars to hear the benefit at home. Suggest a home demo!
P.S. I sold the NDS only to buy one again a few years later for 2nd system - it is a fantastic player also.

2 Likes