ND555 - how much better than NDS?

I had the NDS before in my system and have therefore an honest opinion about what it brings. It brings more musicality and refinement and dynamics then the NDS. It’s more real more emotional. I would in a way compare the NDS to a 252 and then see the ND as a 552…., that’s the type of difference in experience I would see. Less digital more earthy……

An additional benefit you have is that you can raise the performance with a second ps in a more significant manner as you could do with a NDS with a 2nd ps….

5 Likes

I am one of the silly ‘night and day’ apostles of ND555 over NDS. I already had dual power supplies on the NDS when I changed to ND555 in August 2018, which happily coincided with with my retirement. I couldn’t believe how much better it was, in my system. It gives me hours of pleasure every evening.
Life is short. If you have the privilege of being able to afford an ND555, grab it!

9 Likes

ND555 is superior and excels with 2x 555 power supplies connected. The NDS also excels with a second power supply and that could be another path for you. Personally I would not hesitate to upgrade the player, it is a well engineered source and I’ve yet to hear anything better. (And I’ve heard most of the competition at many times the price.)

10 Likes

For a long time I used CD555 and wanted a streamer source that would at least equal it in terms of SQ and hopefully go further.
Two 555PS with the comparisons - I tried NDS and it was just different in that I liked it but it was overall not a better source.
Then the ND555 came along and that was just better everywhere from the start. For me it is a musical delight to own.

DB.

7 Likes

Just did this
Big upgrade

3 Likes

Although I went down a different pathway, separating DAC and streamer, myself and RVR went from CD555 to our respective solutions. I never thought his NDS/ 2 x 555PS bettered my system but his ND555 / 2 x 555PS did give me o pause for thought. I’m not a night and day type guy myself but let’s say it did make me sit up and take notice.

.sjb

2 Likes

If you already have a 552/500 and you have the money then definitely get the nd555 on home demo. I would guess that you already 90% want one and only a home dem can answer the rest of your question. The dealer will be happy to arrange this and won’t be too disappointed if you return it. They do this all the time. You’ll also be in a position to give us all a report on how it went. :blush:

4 Likes

I’m getting all the well known bugs with the old streaming platform and Naim app. I’ve tried the workarounds and not been able to get them working. Plus it feels like a faff having to install extra devices and the money might be better spent upgrading the streamer.

And there’s always the thought of simply enjoying the sound even more.

1 Like

Thanks for all the good advice, particularly hanging on and waiting to see what’s launched which I’m going to do.

Probably a statement streamer in which case you will have to replace your amps as well :rofl:

1 Like

Since the 555 is the last streamer to use the old dac Naim will have to come up with something new, and starting out with a statement system is not likely, but only Naim knows, but something that can replace the dead 272 or something similar seems much more likely.
Claus

I was pulling @Stu299’s leg. Not nice I know given that he recently bought 500 series amps. I guess an ND555 makes sense for him and then he has a complete 500 series system, which he will get I’m sure.

There are other companies ahead of Naim in the area of streaming devices. I think if anything it will be out with the old active and in with the new.

Let’s see what they announce but let’s hope it doesn’t look like those ugly prototypes

2 Likes

I got an ND555 to home demo over COVID from my dealer…. It stayed in place until my own unit arrived some 5 months later.

2 Likes

I did just think that for certain the nd555 was for me, especially after being naim for about 30 years beforehand. Plus ownership of the NDS/ 555dr ps, it would have been easy jump and one i was excited to go for.
The disappointment i got on my home demo was a big surprise, so much so i convinced myself that the nd555 was faulty. I couldn’t really tell the difference and nor could my 20 year old daughter, so after speaking with the dealer, we arranged for the same demo on his 500 naim system in the shop, both got plugged in and off we went.
Well once again i couldn’t tell any difference, the guy that helps out at the dealers also couldn’t tell any difference, the owner apparently could hear a difference, slightly. But for me obviously there was no point in going down this road.
It was then i first got to hear a rossini on the same system and that was, well you already know.
But for sure you need to try this stuff out for yourself, at the dealers probably easiest to start with, but then if you feel you like it, you need to tale it home for a few weeks and see how you get on, and especially if you miss it once you put the old bit of gear back in. It’s no good just expecting it to be much better, just because it should be, plus you need to be true to yourself on the outcome, as if not you might as just give your money over now and live with it, as i am sure the dealer won’t mind.
But also just to add, i hate all this, you need it to settle for days, or burn in for 4 weeks, etc, before you will hear its better. If it doesn’t sound better out the box new, then its not going to change that much in 4 weeks or so time, yes i agree it will probably go up and down a bit, especially the first few days, but then after that it pretty much ends up how it first was. It certainly doesn’t get massively better.

8 Likes

Thanks Dunc it’s good to hear different perspectives on this.

2 Likes

No problem, i know it’s a naim forum, and i love naim, but at the same time, i am not blinded by it, and I always try alternatives, even if at the time i had never even heard off dCS.
You may not like it, you might find something else you like, or you may find the ND555 is all you ever need. We are all different, that’s for sure.

But i urge anyone that’s looking for a fantastic dac/streamer to at least listen to alternatives, as things have moved on massively in the last year, let alone 5 plus years ago.

Plus if you do say like the rossini apex, you may also find you can run it directly to the amp, so cutting out any need for a pre amp, and then maybe go for the vivaldi with the extra cash. That would be a massive jump, i can tell you.
I am looking at doing something like this next year, but i have more than one source thats a bit of a problem to over come.

4 Likes

Very true Dunc. No harm in listening to the competition. Some interesting kit around at this level and only your ears can decide what’s best.

3 Likes

I echo the same experience as Dunc and to my ears the NDS and ND555 sound the same. The latter makes ‘poor’ recordings sound a little better and hi-res can sound sublime but the main difference is how it is able to play multiple ‘layers’ at the same time. For example, on the NDS ‘The Littlest Birds’ by ‘The Be Good Tanyas’, it is unable to play both voices at the same time whereas the ND555 can (which makes it easier to follow the music).

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year filled with blessings :relaxed:

3 Likes

The NDS is a very fine player, and perhaps far too good at its current price point.

4 Likes

Tested the above track (via Qobuz) and the Chord mDAVE (ND5XS2 as streamer) played this piece beautifully.

2 Likes