ND555 is choosing its own tracks to play!

That would be brilliant Richard👍

I am curious… the Naim streamer certainly isn’t flaky… what media server are you using… it sounds like it’s not behaving well, especially with the Naim.
Naim works well with quality media servers such as Asset, Minim, and of course Naim’s own servers…

As far as your home network, as long as you are using Ethernet, you certainly don’t need to bring your router closer to the streamer… you have upto 100 metres to play with, assuming your Ethernet cabling isn’t faulty.
Just ideally ensure your NAS, your media server and your streamer are connected to a switch, either standalone or the switchports on your router. If you router is old it may have sub optimal switchports, so you may benefit from a seperate standalone switch. However it’s a modern router, perhaps from one of the larger quality ISPs in the UK such as BT or Sky you will be fine.

My ND555 has been doing this since I got it - exactly the same problem, but nobody else mentions it so I work around it and this is what I find:

1. It only happens when ‘album-hopping’ - meaning if I begin a ripped CD it plays fine as expected track to track.

2. If I play tracks from one CD rip, then tracks from another (me controlling the ‘random’ selection), then it occasionally decides ‘random play’ internally in the logic and will play random tracks from the selected CD out of sequence sometimes - but not other times.

3. Once the above (2) happens - if I manually select the next track it is meant to be playing in sequence it all works fine again for the rest of the CD.

It is annoying and as if ‘random play’ is invisibly being invoked when I decide to play tracks at random.
It is not what I want - I never ever use random play and would like to disable that feature if I possibly could.
My consciousness-evoked ‘random’ play selection is part of my own stream of consciousness exploration of my music in a session - so I hate an automatic insertion into that flow.

DB.

1 Like

I suspect this is a Naim app thing, then: I only use Roon and do not have this problem.

I also suspect the App.

It is annoying, but I’ve worked-around it and until Naim fix it it is just occasionally a problem.
Mentioning it here to confirm another has seen the problem.

DB.

1 Like

Excellent idea DB! Hopefully, your well respected status might help spark some work on a fix. For the sake of completeness and to guide Naim software engineers I might add a few more observations:

• I’ve experienced, so far only once, an instance where I was playing through a playlist and the app inserted a random track from a different playlist!

• this morning during ripped CD playback, I had a track curtailed half way through and a random track replace it. That was particularly irksome!

For the tape, I listen only to NAS stored music via Unitiserve SSD with everything wired ethernet, no WiFi in the chain other than for connection with the app. I don’t use any streaming services. Naim app is on an iPad.
ATB,
Kevin

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.