ND555 question…

I thought that could be the case, even thought I think I’ve read somewhere that the NDX 2 prefers WAV files in general. Maybe as flac files need to be decoded (and that stresses the CPU), it could slightly degrade the perceived audio quality. By the way I’ve been streaming flac files in most cases, so far the quality has been excellent. I should try WAV too, just out of curiosity.

Streaming hi-res FLAC on Qobuz sounds excellent in my system too, though the local WAV streaming has the edge in being more engaging and complete in its presentation.

I did a number of back to back trials between WAV and FLAC and was unable to detect any difference. I recall that it used to be said that WAV sounded better on the first generation streamers, but with the current units it’s more a matter of convenience. Following the trials I converted all my ripped CDs to FLAC. It also saves some space if that’s a concern.

2 Likes

@Mike_S maybe it’s Qobuz applying some EQ on audio, have you thought so? In my personal experience Qobuz sounds always punchier compared to local streaming (and I mean with the same album purchased directly from Qobuz). It’s a bit annoying to hear these differences in my opinion. Local streaming always seems a touch less lively, but more organic; maybe it also offers a more correct presentation.

@Clive I think I’ve tried that once and couldn’t really tell the difference as well, but why not trying again after a long time, just out of curiosity. However I also chose flac because space is much better to manage. What software did you use to rip your CDs?

I ripped most of my CDs on my NS01, so it was done using Naim’s proprietary software. Before that the first 250 or so discs were ripped using a UnitiServe. I originally ripped to WAV, but converted them all to FLAC, which was something that was available on the NS01. It took about a week though, in batches of genres, which was how @ChrisSU suggested (sensible suggestion given how long it took).

1 Like

I don’t really know. I see this all as a quirk with streaming to be honest, all the different file types and potential for interference through noise introduced through delivery and processing and affects on timing. Not like vinyl, where a grooove is a grove and it’s just processed through the TT to the amp.

I always ripped to WAV, as the dealer set the Uniti Core up the way. Before then, I ripped on my Mac to the Apple format, the Core has always been better than that. Local rips and downloads sound really good on my system. Qobuz is also excellent and if its a favourite, well recorded and available in hi-res, then I’ll grab a WAV download.

A ripped CD sounds as good as a CD played through my bluray player, or better. But, interestingly, a well recorded bluray concert in hi-res in the LPCM format sounds better than anything else! It’s all a bit of a mystery to me.

We did the same testing with NDX2 and found zero discernible difference.

When we had the SuperUniti/272 in the house there WAS an audible difference and we set Asset uPNP to transcode our FLAC on NAS to WAV for consumption.

We’ve since reverted that, which means the office system isn’t performing optimally as the SU is receiving FLAC, but the lounge system is quite happy.

1 Like

@Clive luckily you managed to easily convert all those files, I guess you have quite a big collection. I’ve been using Exact Audio Copy to rip my CDs, it seems to work very well.

@Mike_S you are right, it’s a quirk. It’s real but still a quirk. It was easier when there was only a CD player or a turnable. However I managed to live with that and enjoy the music nevertheless, which is what matters in the end. I only rip CDs on my computer, I’ve never tried a Uniti Core (maybe it’s even better). Out of curiosity I downloaded a nicely recorded album in WAV too, later I want to find out how the two formats compare.

That’s quite a mistery!

1 Like

@Mike_S after what you said, I decided to have a little test and I’ve I just finished it.

I would say that the presentation is 99% identical, so Flac sounds very, very good indeed.
However when you pay attention to details, Flac seems edgier and slightly harsher (it’s subtle but I feel it). WAV files have more air and feel more organic (almost as if there were less gaps… funny as it’s a lossless format), the sound of the instruments flows more naturally. This was quite evident especially on cymbals, also their nouances were easier to spot. Maybe this difference is due to the decoding process, who knows.

It’s not a night and day difference, but I agree with you, it’s there. I guess it’s up to the single person to decide whether it’s worth going for Flac or WAV. Both are great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.