ND555 Server Mode: convenience feature or serious option?

Yes I run a Roon Nucleus (albeit not in a Naim system) with all my music on an internal 2Tb SSD. Not the cheapest way to implement a Roon core but as a virtually plug and play solution that you can fit and forget, it’s an excellent little box.

1 Like

Roon will find a music store that is either directly attached to the hardware that runs it, or elsewhere on your network, just as a UPnP server can. So if you decide to try it, just remove the USB drive from the ND555 and plug it into another suitable device.

1 Like

@Monkey_Jim

You could certainly plug the USB drive into the Nucleus.

I was offered a two week home demo of a Nucleus to try before I bought.

I found it sounded better than the high-spec fanless QNAP NAS I had at the time (greater detail and clarity, better timing and instrumental tones). This was using Asset as a server, which I preferred to both Twonky and Minim.

I also preferred the sound (for the same reasons) of the Nucleus with an internal high-quality SSD to an external drive. I had worried about this because some people have found disadvantages in SSD drives for SQ. I didn’t.

I compared this with a selection of files on a USB stick direct into the ND555 in server mode. I do not recollect the Nucleus seeing them as attached to the network and integrated in Roon. I’m not sure this is possible. I preferred the sound from the Nucleus to Server Mode. I think it’s more of a convenience function than anything else.

I’m very happy with my Nucleus+, which I use with a high-output Sean Jacobs linear power supply (another box!), which improves the SQ substantially in my system.

1 Like

Thanks @Michaelb
That’s a ringing endorsement! More boxes yes, but a discreet one at least, and lots of functionality, especially if I fit an internal drive. A lot more than I was thinking of spending, but that seems to be a perennial hazard of hanging out around here!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.