ND555 technical relevance?

I have heard DCS Rossini and Linn Klimax DSM on a same system, and although Lumin X1 and Naim Nd555 on a same system.
I found the sound very different for each dac in the same system :
The DCS was more dynamic, detailed and upfront vs the Linn KDSM. More demonstrative and spectacular. But I however much preferred the Linn, because the sound was more cohesive, organic, and refined.
The Lumin vs the Nd555: The Lumin, at half the cost, was more dynamic, specially on drums and percussions. There was more details too, and the voices were better defined.
But the Naim was more addictive to me, more propulsive and organic.

So I would say that more is not necessary better.

7 Likes

Excellent post Billy,care to share your conclusions as to which you prefer?

1 Like

I have read many great reviews of the Grim/Mola Mola combo on Audiophile style forum. Nowhere for me to demo any of these great Dac/streamer comboā€™s,along with the ones Billy listed unfortunately.

How do you know the Grimm beats anything when it comes to streaming ?
Did you compared with Auralic, Lumin, DCSā€¦transports ?

The quite unanimous verdict, from what I read, goes more towards the Taiko SGM extreme.

I have to confess that despite what I said, I am very interested by the Grimm MU1 . It has an SPDIF and I could connect it to the Nds/555dr used as a dac. It has also 2 TO ssd or 3 TO . I could sell my Melco and use the Grimm with my Nds. Instead of selling my Nds for a ridiculous low price and buy an Nd555 second hand, which is still very expensive ( around 13 k euros).

Do you think I could use the Grimm without using Roon?
Is the Spdif good on it?

1 Like

Hi Billy

Thatā€™s a very interesting post.

You have done some great research and listening tests this year.

Were all your comparisons done in dealersā€™ listening rooms?

These are useful for comparing dacs in that particular system and room.

One thing Iā€™ve found is that any conclusions reached in a dealerā€™s room may not apply in the same way if you transferred those 2 dacs to your own listening room at home.

This is because of several factors:

• different room acoustics.
  • different amps, cables, supports, speakers.
  • different electrical environment of the house.
  • different home digital network.
  • different attention to detail of set up, cable dressing, etc.
  • different ability to relax, concentrate and tune into the music at home vs at dealership.

I find that what may be small differences at shows and dealerships can become more salient when the same components are installed at home in oneā€™s familiar system.

Jim

I am also very interested in this device for the future.

Grimm website is good with lots of product info. Regards Roon, seems like they will deliver with alternative server software if asked by the new customer.

Excellent reviews and great YouTube review by Hans Beekhuyzen. It appears that the people that designed/build it have many years of pro audio knowledge and experience.

I would of course want to demo this in my own system before a purchase

1 Like

I have no knowledge of these products - but can attest that the part in parentheses is no explanation for your first assertion. Have you ever seen the cabling in the average studio??? :slight_smile:

Haha, in a studio the task tends to be ā€œget voltage to that unit by whatever combination of means necessaryā€ ā€¦ or ā€œoops, that patch connection is crackling, just spray it and shake it around for a minuteā€. No one is comparing the musicality of different interconnects :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made some researches and indeed , for now, it works only with Roon.
Will see in the future if Grimm enables UPNP streaming . And maybe I will try it at home, If a site does 14 days trial. As it uses SMPS, itā€™s not very big and weighty.
Not easy in France to borrow it from a dealer and test at home.
For now the only Roon possibility doesnā€™t involve me.

1 Like

I agree with you regarding conclusions reached on the basis of a visit to a dealer or at an exhibition.

They are at best only glimpses.

We can never be sure of the result at home.

This is all the more true since the room and the speakers are the elements of the system that have the greatest impact on the sound.

This is why I restricted myself when choosing my new electronics. As I could not test them at home, I wanted to, at least, test them with my speakers.

But there are some things we just have to take the plunge for.

The risk is nevertheless reduced with well established brands like Naim, MSB, Gryphon, Soulution, CH Precision, etc.

1 Like

Do Swiss dealers not allow you to return gear if it doesnā€™t sound to your liking?

Or is that a feature of Soulution?

In the UK consumers have a cooling off period after most purchases if they change their mind and wish to return it.

Or was it because you ordered the DAC to beat a price rise, but cannot test the system until all the parts have been brought together?

In Switzerland, a right of withdrawal only exists if the item is defective. However, any dealer can offer such a right of return, but he will do so according to his own rules.

So no, it is not unique to Soulution.

In any case, I understand that the return is not accepted. Soulution electronics are made to order, especially the 7 series, which is the equivalent of Naimā€™s Statement series. I believe that the Statement is also only made to order.

1 Like

All the Naim classic and reference gear is made to order, not just the Statement.

3 Likes

and watching them being made on the work bench is fascinating

A 252 being made for a customer.

7 Likes

Interesting to see that Linn has now rolled out its latest Organik DAC as a retrofit upgrade for the Klimax DS and DSM range, stretching all the way back to 2007 models. Pretty good going for a 15 year old product.

7 Likes

Ooh! Now that would be very interesting. So you get the Organik DAC in the more attractive, slimline streamer enclose (like a Klimax Radikal) is that correct? I was put off by the design of the KDSM with the weird knob on top.

Yep - easier on the budget too. I got an email through earlier and itā€™s now on the website.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not all the Organik upgrade, only a part. The dac I think to remember.