ND555 - What else do I need?! Help appreciated

I can’t comment on the how this works out in the Melcos, but the WD Red was generally considered to be the best of the bunch, and both it and an external LaCie/Seagate were beaten on SQ by the Samsung Evo SSD (which is what Roon recommend for their Nucleus). Not all SSDs are equal…

@Gazza I think you actually put me onto signals in the first place? Via the Musicworks block thread! I read with interest and wanted to support a dealer that was obviously well liked. I guess it paid off as here we are a year later and they have given exceptional advice regarding the Melco products. My situation is similar to yours maybe regarding the ER/PS as the ER switch is £680 I think and the price for the dual rail Plixir seems sensible to me being able to power 2 devices also. The Melco switch looks great and would sit next to the ripper but its also £2k as you say and not all positive reviews.

I luckily already have the 2x555DR’s so it makes this exercise a bit more cost effective! The ND555 was priced very keenly (my regular Naim dealer) and I have the 2011 CD555 to sell that was very low mileage when I got it and I also had it serviced last year and asked for a new mech etc! Its essentially a new CD555 which should bring me back a chunk!

1 Like

When i bought my nd555, i needed the 555 ps, a 252 and a supercap…the Signals guys made it as pain free as possible. Should never have listened to the 552/500…:grin:

For the Unitserve, Martin Colloms preferred the hdd vs sdd.
DB preferred the Melco hdd vs ssd too.
The Melco N10 has a massive external outboard linear ps, vs the Melco ssd model. I would think it’s sounds better with an external ps, but have not heard both.
Mine is the middle one hdd model, with inside linear ps. Already 5k, I can’t go higher.

The question is which SSD, though, and when (the Unitiserve review goes back a bit). I also used to think HDDs always sounded better than SSDs especially for PRaT, but I think that’s a thing of the past with the new high quality models.

I don’t know what sort of SSD the Unitiserve had, but it was just a small one, that did not hold your music store, and was intended for use where you had other network storage for your music library.

I have no real idea, have never compared both. Just wanted to point that ssd is better on paper, more expensive, but not sure it’s best for sound quality.
Better not buy blind because it’s ssd.

I think we’re saying practically the same thing: you can’t expect one to necessarily be better than the other - it depends on the make, model and installation (Melco Server, Roon Nucleus, etc etc)

1 Like

I wasn’t disagreeing with you…

@frenchrooster I believe the only difference between your Melco and the most expensive is the SSD’s! It seems crazy but looking at the specs the SSD’s they choose seem to cost thousands! The sound is more mellow apparently on the most expensive. The N10 I have been told is the sweet spot and has a lovely involving sound, not exciting but not bland, just really good! I guess I will soon see!!

1 Like

:handshake:

1 Like

I am jealous ! You will have all in one time, Nd555/ Melco N10/ Melco D100/ Linear ps/ Etheregen. Lucky man !
Be just prepared for a very long burn in of the Nd555. With up and down. Better leave it running 24/24 .

I have a melco N1ZS/2 and its lovely, completely silent and sounds fantastic. Was going to get the N10, but this x demo at 50% off, was too good an opportunity to turn down.
I didnt compare it against the N10, but was told the difference is very silght, with some that prefer the N10 and others the N1ZS/2, but i did see that he now uses the same model once again, but the ex version in his reference demo system.

@frenchrooster all told it will cost me less than an ND555 and 1xPS at list price. I am lucky in that I already own the 2 power supplies I guess!!

It should be fun and of course the burn in will be a real joy but I will run the system 24/7 for a few weeks at low volume to help speed it up a bit! It will be a bit easier with radio though vs playing the same CD on repeat :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Andy, emailed me go say there is a big shipment sailing towards the UK with the whole range, which would include the router/switch psu which you can have in elementa or elite with 2 rails.

1 Like

Agree - it is what I found, but with the early SSD Melco had two years ago. I found also the HDD was just far more engaging and just had a funky sound in a good way I liked with superb low bass.
The (then) SSD was cleaner but sounded held-back in my system - in certain respects it did some things better but just did not grab me - I’ve learned to trust my feelings on matters of the force.

I later heard:
1. The SSD I demoed was brand new and they improve with run-in
2. Melco later told me they were having a lot of problems sourcing ‘quiet’ SSD drives and were going to suspend SSD version production.
3. That later they got a better SSD version and it would meet requirement.

So what I home-demoed (and heard in the Dealer a few times before and after) was a ‘signature’ in the presentation that the HDD version had which was fluid and easy-going with no hint of being ‘held-back’ or ‘reserved’ - the only down-side was it was a bit over-fulsome sometimes.

I find that System-matching is so important - people do not want to hear this a lot because of an idea of ‘better-worse’ on a linear scale, but these items have many dimensions in things done better and worse and it needs to gell with what your system can handle without it being turned into unpleasant results.
The Active system likes items that allow a free-flow of information without anything being over-accentuated - the Melco allowed for that - I liked it so I have one! :bear:

But in systems that may start a bit looser with less bass control it may sound a disaster - why you need to have the context of how it is going to be used - and for who.

DB.

I see You like deep bass so try to test the chord music cable into your power block to wall

@Meni on the NAP’s? Sounds interesting! For DB a cool £15k in the UK for the 3 he would need!!

So you bought it? And liked ?

Into the wall is more important to his 3 naps