ND555 with 272 as preamp?

Having just gone there, I couldn’t agree more. The ‘DR’ variant takes the 252 to a level I hadn’t quite expected from previous 252 non-DR ownership.

G

1 Like

I remember I was quite impressed when I heard a 252dr with a ndx2 on my speakers and previous amp and I do get the point about the 272 limitations (but haven’t heard yet how much of a SQ step up I will get once the ND555 is in with the 272 and rest of my system).

Getting a pre-owned unit would probably limit the monetary loss when/if upgrading to a 552dr in the future. So that would make sense indeed. Just need more funding. And also need to accommodate 6 boxes

1 Like

Well… I am going to throw another spanner in the works. Let’s not forget the 282 that is amazing also and some prefer over the 252!
In other words get any pre and reap the rewards.

:joy::crazy_face:

2 Likes

As an interim step it would be okay but and I guess about to stir up a storm here the 282/HC is very considerably ahead of the 272 as a pre-amp. And so it should be it’s dedicated to the task.

In fact I’d even throw in that a 202/HC would be a step up but mismatched somewhat with a 300.
Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

having tested my Chord Dave with 172 and 202 as a preamps - I can’t hear any reason why a ND555 would be poorly matched with 272 as a preamp.

Both preamps were able to let the qualities of the Dave shine…

of course a 282 is better and so is a 252…and so is a 552…

First impressions after an evening of listening :

More detail, presence and emotion flowing through vocals, very clear on voices and instruments during the more quiet music pieces (Adele royal Albert hall concert, jazz pieces,…).

On more dense complex parts or on alternative / electronic synth pieces, not much of difference. I was hoping to get more in terms of musicality, overall coherence and engagement.

At this stage, and pending further listening, my take away is that (1) the 272/555ps/300dr is a very very good combo and (2) that the 272 used bare as preamp is probably holding back the ND555 as a number of you have suggested in this thread.

I’ll see if I can get a demo 252+SC to put in place of the 272

2 Likes

Hi Ahtiong

I think your summary is about right and confirms many posters comments.

There’s a lot more to come from the N555 and a 252 is going to be a revelation. From my experience it will also give you what you are looking for in your second paragraph.

But get ready for many suggestions to skip the 252!

I didn’t realise that Naim made DR versions of their preamplifiers?

Yeah… the preamps were upgraded when their PSUs were upgraded to DR. This is what makes the preamps such timeless classics.
The 252DR is referring to the DR enabling of its dedicated Bundy SuperCapDR feed, the 552DR refers to its dedicated Bundy 552PSDR feed.
The performance between DR and non DR preamps can be quite marked… arguably the 252DR is one of the biggest changes.

2 Likes

I found the ND555 needed to be set to default/chassis rather than floating (slider on the back) so set the 272 to floating. In my system, which is all powered from a linear power block, it was best in the first socket but this may be different with other blocks and setups.

Compare with the 555 floating and the 272 on chassis and see what you make of it, experiment!

There should be only one signal earth and I found it best be the ND555 so a Naim CD player or DVD5 shouldn’t be connected to the pre amp either, though I doubt you have one with a 272.

1 Like

Interesting Simon. I was idly toying with the purchase of an upgraded to DR 2007 552 last week but am very happy I resisted based on what I’m hearing.

G

In what way are you now resisting? The 552DR is an outstanding NAC…point being the 252DR is not so far behind if set up properly… but the 552DR in my opinion is clearly ahead in overall performance.

I mean I resisted and bought the 252 instead.

G

Is 282/HC very considerably ahead of the 272/555DR as a pre-amp?

Obviously with the other ranges, the 555 can only be added to streamers and not to any pre amps.

Is it confirmed that the 555 on the 272 does utilise this to power the pre amp section within the 272?

To my ears yes.

1 Like

Is that a test you made at home?

Did you own both set ups?

@JimDog

I actually had the 282 long before the 272 came about. But at the time of the 272 launch I was invited to a demo at which they compared the NDX(XPS2)/SN2 vs 272(XPS)/250(DR) both into Focal Sopra 2s. By comment consent the former was considerably better, across the piece. Later in the day by which time the 250 had been replaced by the 300 the 272 was replaced with the NDX/282/HC and the game was over. No doubt the 272 was an excellent piece of equipment but ultimately compromised by having the digital stuff and pre-amp in the same box.

@popeye. Don’t know, good question. I would have thought it would have powered only the digital part of the 272. @Richard.Dane might know?

Regards,

Lindsay

When the NAC-N272 is powered by a separate dedicated power supply such as the 555PS, the mains connection to the NAC-N272 is removed, so the 555PS is powering all sections of the NAC-N272.

So you’ve never heard 272/555DR?

And never had a 272 or 555PS at home?

That’s why you don’t understand that the 272 preamp is so good when powered by Naim’s best psu.