ND5X+ND5XS PSU. Add NDX2 or NDS

Hi.
That is what I thought re the cost of a second hand NDS and a new or nearly new NDX2.
I do not listen to any streaming services, it is mainly iradio and upnp for my small cd collection.

Good to hear.

It is what I found going from the ND5XS/NP5XS to NDS/NP5XS, everything was just better - soundstage, timing, detail, precision, dynamics.
I too enjoyed the ND5XS/NP5XS combination for the couple of years I had it.
Just like I enjoyed the NDS/NP5XS combination, a few years back.

Plus you know that a NDS/555DR is going to better again.
I would like to try a 2nd 555DR on the NDS, but based on current budgets, that’s some time off yet.
I too enjoy playing Vinyl, as well, which was always held as the Primary source, but as the digital front-end has got better, at times, as good as each other, just different. But I have to caveat, that this does depend on recording, format, pressing etc.

However, all very enjoyable to listen to.

Would be curious to know which upgrade sounds better : Nd555 instead of Nds with 555dr or 2X 555 dr on Nds?
The cost on second hand market would be similar.

Happy to try these options :slight_smile:

I have a NDS with a single 555DR at present, with a SonoreUPnP Bridge for Roon integration.
I would also be interested to compare this configuration (NDS/555DR with SonoreUPnP) vs ND555/555DR with native Roon integration.

1 Like

It feels like an ND555 with one PS would be better than the NDS with 2.

Most, but not all have found the ND555 to be clearly ahead of the NDS and worth the upgrade cost.

Adding a new PS doesn’t get you a new streaming board on the NDS so you lose out on quite a lot, native Roon integration, QoBuz, Chromecast, Airplay, screen freezes, random reboots etc.

I wonder how they compare using just the DAC though with a high quality transport? I’d expect this to be much closer as these sections are almost the same. The ND555 is better optimised internally with power which is why it can’t be powered by an XPS.

I have been listening to Qobuz via Roon on my NDX2/XPSDR. That is now 100% of my use. I also use Roon for my ripped CDs and hires files. The sound quality is excellent. Almost (but not quite) as good as my vinyl source.

I have yet to experience any screen freeze or random reboot on my NDX2. Airplay2 is very flakey at times though. I have a horrible time trying to get it to play YouTube audio from my iPad Pro 11.

1 Like

Yes, but if you don’t use Airplay, Chromcast, Tidal, Qobuz and Roon ( as myself), it’s not sure that Nd555/ 1 ps is better vs Nds/ 2X ps for local streaming. But have not tested.

I had the ND5XS and XP5XS combo, for me the most cost effective upgrade was to buy an ex-dem NDAC, power it from the XP5XS and use the ND5XS to feed SPDIF to the NDAC. Very cost effective upgrade for ÂŁ1k and there are some cost effective ways to provide TIDAL or Qobuz integration.

Use of the ND5XS also provides access to system automation which is handy with a Naim preamp or integrated amp.

1 Like

You are certainly right, adding a less than 1k Ndac to the Nd5xs is the most cost effective.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.