ND5XS2 new hum problem

@Blackbird That would be “nice” but I certainly would never expect Naim to do such a thing. I believe their number one priority is economic survival by creating and maintaining a marketing hype around their products in order to sell as much as possible. Actually assisting product owners in dealing with electrical and other performance anomalies at their homes is probably beyond their scope and company mission. The dealers are supposed to provide some sort of support and I know of atleast one that has done an extremely poor job in my case.

@SoA I hope you have a different dealer than I do! My dealer confidently explained that the hum was due to my inability to read and understand a user’s manual combined with my home electrical network.

Please dont give up. If it sounds bad at your Sons, that really sounds like a device failure, and would very likely be replicated at the store. It is still under guarantee. I would suggest one of two options. Go to another store, or better still raise it with Naim directly as a complaint. Naim may let you post it directly to them. Pease Please dont sell all your kit, as real Naim dealers and users would want you to hear what we can all hear.

1 Like

If your dealer is not interested in assisting you, then you should speak with your local distributor. They supply and represent the brand in your country and it is absolutely in their interests to have a satisfied customer. You’ve done what testing you need to do and tested the unit not only on outlets in your own home, but also elsewhere, and it hums badly in every situation. Time to get the distributor involved, I think.

2 Likes

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

But yes as said above get your country distributor involved if outside the UK … if your system sounds no better than a squeeze box feeding a relatively low end mass produced DAC I would say something is very faulty somewhere… and the disproportionately loud humming is not right as well… so wrong / faulty on possibly several fronts.

I suspect your issue is directly with your retailer… not the manufacturer which is Naim or distributor… and yes your national distributor will I am sure be interested if retailing standards have slipped and I’d be surprised if they don’t address your issues.

I think you are being very unfair to Naim here. Now you have tried it at another location, and given it still hums, it sounds very much as if it’s faulty. It is absolutely not normal to experience the level of hum you mention.

Is your dealer in the U.K.? If so you should get on to Naim and explain their lack of support. The last thing Naim want is unhappy customers.

While you are clearly severely pissed off, and rightly so, I’d hang in there just a while longer. Your equipment is really excellent and once you have a replacement streamer, you should find that it’s capable of giving you great performance.

Hi, I reported it them on wed last week, why wait? They got straight back to me saying sorry to hear that and asking for the sn. Said they would get back to me… of course, it hasn’t hummed since! But wife is on nights this weekend so ill be giving it a work out to see what gives…

And did he tell you what section of the manual you did supposedly not read/understand, and what it says that you should do differently? (Edit: and how this made it suddenly hum loudly after it already had worked fine?). Sorry if you already mentioned in the thread, I search for “manual” and only found this one post.

I presume you spoke to them using the high level of histrionics demonstrated on pretty much every post on here?

1 Like

Maybe it’s caught the virus

:slight_smile:

Before you post it to Naim or your dealer, @Magnolia, make a video on your phone of it making the hum. Send that to them too, so they have something to work with and compare to.

3 Likes

@Magnolia don’t give in just yet.
My ND5XS2 transformer is silent, you have clearly tried the unit in other locations and the fault moves with the ND5XS2 so it must be faulty, if under warranty ask for the unit to be replaced.

1 Like

Brilliant idea - also if you do phone anyone in connection with this, keep the device next to your phone as you speak and say you cannot hear them due to the loud Hum

Good advice all around here. Even though there seems to be a clear issue with the unit, the more troubling thing lies at the feet of your dealer who refuses to help. No use in selling-on defective equipment to some poor, unsuspecting buyer. Get the issue sorted through the distributor and let them know how unhelpful this specific dealer has been. Once the issue is taken care of you’ll be glad you kept the Naim lot.
You’re frustrated and even pissed, no doubt, and rightly so. However, cooler heads prevail in retail situations such as this, especially in audio where it’s a much smaller world and word gets around. You’ll be taken more seriously if you go through the proper steps to rectify the situation. Please don’t take that as a dig. It’s not. You still have options: Naim, distributor, warranty. This dealer seems a fool. Call them out through the correct channels and let them have to deal with the consequences of unsatisfactory sales practices. It’s a pain; it puts some burden on you; it might take time or it might not. Regardless, if you go through the process and still find there’s an issue or the sound just wasn’t worth the hassle after all, then fair enough. I get the feeling you like Naim and its SQ/attributes. Don’t let a dealer dictate in some negative way how you’ll perceive that moving forward. Good luck.

4 Likes

Agreed. Selling a faulty unit helps no one.

Maybe you can post a sound file or video here so the Forum can hear the problem first hand. That might open other avenues of investigation.

2 Likes

Magnolia, having delved deeper into the background of this case and seen the steps and advice that your dealer has provided you, it looks like they’re doing everything they can to help you (not surprising as so many members here attest to their excellent service above and beyond the call). I would follow their advice here, even though there are some added complications to the logistics since the beginning of this year. Hopefully they can get things relsolved for you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.