ND5XS2 owners

Plus it sounds better, a lot better. I’ve had both players. The ND5 XS 2 is good value but a NDX 2 it is not. Also the internal PSU is slightly bigger in the NDX 2.

1 Like

I run my ND5XS2 into a qutest. So if I were to run a NDX2 into the qutest, would I hear anything different?

I’m not a fan of Chord DACs so i wouldn’t know on that one. The NDX 2 does have a slightly bigger power section for the streaming board.

Well said. Unless we have money to burn, is always better to target the better cost/ benefit hifi piece

1 Like

I I think the underlying problem is that many people don’t even know what they want (or like )

I had good material from other brands, until I met Naim, in an Audioshow. From then on, everything became clear. It was this characteristic sound that attracted me. So here i am… :wink:

2 Likes

Satisfied yes. Curious yes. And I just have to make sure I keep my curiosity under control.
By profession I’m a mechanical engineer who works in a rather interesting business. And, although I have a good job, I always want good value for money. Hence why I have ended up with the ND5xs2. I don’t see what doubling your money brings. Or, why whatever the differences are, cost what they cost. I guess it is good marketing from Naim. They charge, people pay. And good luck to them. Me, I want to know what I am buying. Many will just say listen. But my conscience will always be asking what it is I’m buying.
I do appreciate that Naim products are well engineered. By that, I mean well designed, built and tested. And yes, that costs.

2 Likes

I would say that you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between the two when used solely as a transport into the Qutest. Of course, give it a try if possible.

1 Like

Sort of where I’m at. And I don’t want the temptation/rabbit hole of wondering what extra an external PS might bring.

1 Like

It get’s rid of the noisy transformer inside the player and provides cleaner and more ample power, which in turn benefits the streaming board/DAC/filtering and sound quality as a whole more so than any bolt on DAC can offer. Obviously at a big additional cost.

I did try and make sense of the ethernet and switches thread. Lost interest! When I see stuff like that, I take solace in some dusty vinyl and enjoy that.
Although saying that, I did try some carbon fibre coned feet for Rega P25 about 20 years ago. Total junk. Sapped all the bass out if the thing. Refitted the Rega rubber feet and all was good.
Part of my job can involve modifying the design of the plant. And to do that correctly you need to understand the original design intent. Otherwise you can bugger up some aspect you’d not considered. Thus, I have a lot of respect for the original designer of equipment. As nearly always they do not reveal their IP to you.
So, I always laugh at those who wish to redesign stuff with no knowledge of the IP/ design. Selling in many places complete tish to eager types. Russ Andrews comes to mind with his carbon fibre coned.

I took my Chord Dave to my Naim dealer and spent quite a long time listening to it fed from an ND5XS2 and an a NDX2. If there were any differences, they were small enough that they could have been written off as a figment of my imagination, and my dealer was of the same opinion.
The rest of the system was a Supernait 3 into Kudos S20s, just because that’s what was set up in the demo room at the time. I’m prepared to concede that in a more revealing system, any differences might have been more apparent, although I suspect they would be too small to justify the price difference for most people.

3 Likes

That was what I found as well. I played around with a bunch of other preamps, amps, tubes, mixes, and integrated’s. I finally stumbled onto Naim gear and have no desire for anything else.

And it’s not because I foolishly think that Naim stuff is so much better than anything else, (I always thot a Pass Labs 250.5 with an ARC Ref 3 or Ref 5e pre would sound fantastic); it’s just that having Naim sh** simplifies the whole process so eloquently.

They just seem to manufacture in an intelligent way, or something, and match their products well. Seriously … it hardly matters anymore, just where I position my speakers, or at what point of stasis or upgrade my system is at; it always sounds very, very good, and pleasing to the ear.

Anyhoo, just my thoughts.
Cheers.

Dave

2 Likes

That’s good to know, and sort of what I suspected. And using Dave rather than qutest too.

That’s good to know Chris as you did the leg work, but you still went ahead and purchased a NDX 2? :thinking:

If i was igahman i would hurry and purchase a ND5 XS 2 to go with his NAIT XS 3 amplifier. They will be a match made in heaven. A synergistic system capable of some serious music making. At a later time he could then trade in or sell his CD5si for a FlatCap XS or HiLine, just to put some icing on a already toothsome cake. It would all look the business, work together as a balanced whole and provide many years of musical fun and enjoyment.

1 Like

Any streamer I buy would never replace my CD player or turntable as I like to own the physical album. I use streaming to preview new music and old music that I missed first time around. Anything I like is then bought on cd or vinyl. I’m actually happy with my current lo fi method for this purpose. In honesty I don’t need a serious streamer and I certainly can’t justify one. Having said that I hope to be visiting my Naim dealer this week to look at an nd5xs2. Why? Because I can but it could go down as a more money than sense purchase. That’s not to doubt the obvious quality of the nd5xs2 it’s just that it is over the top for what I will be using it for but that won’t stop me buying it. I will also be looking at a new system rack because my current one has seen better days and I am more excited about that. And what system rack will I buy? The one that looks the nicest of course :joy::joy::joy:

I have the ND5XS2 and a Nait XS2 and together they make some fantastic sound. But trust me, once you have the ND5XS2 the CD5si won’t get a look in. I have my CD5si all boxed up and ready to sell. The ND5XS2 is always at least as good as and often better than the CD5si, especially with hi-res files, and the convenience of having your entire CD collection available instantly from an app on a phone or tablet cannot be overstated. Sure, I still buy the occasional CD but it just gets ripped to my NAS straight away then stored away out of the listening room. For physical media I much prefer vinyl and my turntable is going nowhere.

1 Like

It’s not really a matter of saving money. The funds have been allocated for some time. I think it is inevitable I will end up with the nd5xs2 but the decision is not being made on logic or common sense but on sheer want want want. But I guess I’m not the only member of the forum who is guilty of that weakness :innocent:

Yes I totally understand what you are saying but we all listen to music in our individual ways so no matter how good the streamer is I will still want to put the disc in the drawer and the needle on the record. The streamer will still be played a lot in the way I mentioned but I do concede that as I have found out with vinyl that my laziness will be overpowering.:woozy_face:

1 Like

@igahman

I understand this: i’ve adopted streaming 4 years ago and sometimes I miss the tactile experience of vinyl / CD.

The ritual of choosing (more slowly) and feeling the gap ( intermission) between the sides of the LP or changing the CDs.

For me reminds me the ritual of seeing photo álbuns as oposite At photos on screen

1 Like