ND5XS2 using two outputs

The ground switch isn’t too critical, you can just adjust it by ear and if you hear a difference use the setting you prefer. If there is no audible difference it doesn’t matter. It’s a signal ground, not a safety earth.

The idea is that Naim systems, traditionally CD player and amp, take the ground for the whole system through the amp to earth via the source, so that everything is consistently grounded to a single point.
With a single source this is straightforward, but when people first started adding streamers they probably already had a CD player or other source, and you definitely don’t want more than one ground. So in this case you would use the switch to lift the ground connection in one source if you already had one in another.

1 Like

Ha ha!

Just opened settings on my Samsung tv, and found that I have had the audio on 40ms delay for perhaps one or two years.

Doh.

Now with zero delay the lip sync is perfect via the hifi.

2 Likes

Ok I am just getting around to trying the ND5XS2 using it’s analog outs to my Nagra integrated. Very nice actually, I think I could live quite happily with the DAC in the ND5…more listening is needed to be certain however.
One thing though, I also connected my TV with an optical cable to the back of the ND5, into optical 2.
In the menu settings I changed output from digital to RCA, I also enabled optical 2, and renamed it TV.
I thought TV would then show up in my home screen, but it has not.
Do I have to delete the App and bring it in again, or something else I am missing?

You should check if tv sends a signal to your optical cable and the cable is ok.
Then make sure the digital audio out set to PCM.

Strange. This is how mine shows up. I don’t have many inputs showing as the unused ones have been disabled

If you go into the app “input settings” or similar again, you may find that TV wasn’t saved. After you change an input name, you have to save it before you exit back a level in the menu. It’s a special Naim peculiarity that has caught me out more than once.

1 Like

I have found a real strength of the TT2 on its own is to provide good quality voice / mid-range using a direct Toslink connection from my TV, and without lip-sync issues which I experienced with MScaler and with NDX2.

I don’t see where you have the option to save it David. I verified the TV is outputting via optical because I got it working by just plugging it into my TT2. The lip sync was better this way rather than going through the Mscaler
The little green arrow is checked on optical, and I named it TV, but no way to try it if I can’t turn on the input.
Really enjoying the ND5 right now as my streamer/Dac listening to radio paradise.
I should add that the optical cable seemed a little loose when I pushed it in, but whether or not a cable is plugged in should not affect the option showing up in the app should it?

I misunderstood your previous post, I’m sorry.
Looks like the issue is somewhere in the application .
I’d try to play with “Input settings” section, say, enable/disable some other inputs and see if they are shown.
Another thing is to reset the app itself - no delete is required, theres a section “Reset app”.

I tried the reset app,no change.

I’m looking on my Nova as I don’t have an ND5 XS2. It’s not quite how I remembered, but it might have changed. Anyway what you now have to do is to edit the room name and then use the back arrow at the top of the screen to exit and not the x in top right (this is on an iPhone). I don’t know how it goes on android…

Doh, I feel stupid…on the iPad Home Screen the inputs are listed in a row. There are two dots under them, I needed to click the second dot, which revealed page two of the inputs. TV is listed there, so now I can activate it.
Lip sync seems pretty good through the ND5XS2 also.

Do you have so many inputs enabled that they don’t fit in one screen? If so, you can nudge the inputs pane left or right to reveal the next page

EDIT: The above was written before I saw your last post, but I am pleased that I was right :slight_smile:

I had only ever used the ones on the first page before, Tidal, internet radio,favorites,Naim Core and USB.

Yes, I can see how one can get caught out by it, if they always fit on one page and then they suddenly don’t

1 Like

Today an update to App was released. Worth trying.

So now you just need to move the TV input to the front page.

Richard, you can probably close this thread because I have traded my ND5XS2 in on some new speakers.
I have also traded in my Mscaler and TT2,going with a much cheaper DAC for the time being. I will be now using a Musical Fidelity MX DAC, and my ThinkPad Laptop for a while to stream.

1 Like