nDac+Bluesound Node2i OR NDX (Not NDX2)

I’d be surprised if it’s not powerful enough. Transcoding music files is a cinch compared to the video transcoding that most NAS drives in the last 10 years can manage.

A quick search (I’m not familiar with your particular NAS):

Mine doesn’t transcode video cause it is too slow for that. I just use the NAS for storing my movies. I play them locally on another computer that’s connected to the TV .

Just to be completely clear! I used to own a Superuniti, and I’ve listened to systems with an NDAC and various Naits, but the only surefire way of making these choices is to demo them for yourself. Not always possible, of course.

Just to be completely clear! I used to own a Superuniti, and I’ve listened to systems with an NDAC and various Naits, but the only surefire way of making these choices is to demo them for yourself. Not always possible, of course.

Yeah, I know. I wish I could do that but most of the outdated models are not so easy to demo (especially now with the Corona situation). Hence I have to turn to the forum for advice.

I use a Bluesound Vault 2 with a Ndac / XPS. It’s very Nice. The SQ is really good for the price. The Famous Naim PRAT is kept.
Be carreful to the coax câble between streamer and dac. The sound is very différent from one câble to another one…
I tried some coax like kimber dv30, Blackcat Silverstar 75, Naim DC1 and Vertere Dfi.
The One who préserves the “implicant” PRaT is the Naim and the Vertere.
I chose the Vertere over the Naim because in my case and system it’s the best that suits to my Hearst and SQ. If I can make à compararison : the DC1 is more in your face, implicant, live, contrarier to the Vertere more detailed, more refined, liquid…

Both are good, but it’s Just a question of personnal taste in terms of retranscription…

2 Likes

yes, i just tried the node 2i and lost the sonic signature of my 272

When I tried this a couple of years ago I don’t remember it being particularly complicated to get it working on my Synology NAS. Is the process very different on different devices?

That’s a fair comment on the earlier model Synologys. I vaguely remember issues with java versions and ff transcoding on a 2014 model.

However, a 2018 718 model was relatively simple - accessing on port 58050 gives simple tick boxes for transcoding, creating openhome renderer etc.

For me it made sense to use the NAS I already owned rather than sourcing yet another ‘box’ to get the NDX compatible with Qobuz and able to be fed WAV rather than FLAC. I understand that won’t necessarily be the right choice for everyone.

I certainly don’t recall having to do anything like that with my DS115, I just went through the BubbleUPnP server setup menu, ticked a few boxes, and it worked. I must have been lucky.

What is the front end for BubbleUPnP on iPhone? Is it user friendly?
If it is very complex with an ugly DIY user interface then I’m not sure whether I will use it often.

You need to use an openhome compatible controller such as Lumin or Linn’s Kazoo, both are a bit Meh in my opinion.

1 Like

As with ChrisSU, I must have got lucky!

Controlling apps: all much of a muchness in my experience really. Personally I use Lumin on an iPad as its pretty robust, quick and smooth. BubbleUPNP on an android tablet works pretty well too.
The main reason for doing it, for me at least, was to get Qobuz and (a reliable form of…) Tidal onto a first gen NDX. Pretty apps and suchlike came a very distant second on the list.

Yes, FLAC to WAV. At the time I had a 1st generation NDX and have always done that with my Unitiserve, as it seemed to sound very slightly better with WAV.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.