nDAC not doing it for me

A majority of members found an uplift connecting the Ndac to an Ndx or Nd5xs2.
So I feel it’s worth testing one thing before any definitive conclusion : see if the cable is not damaged.
If it doesn’t change anything ( a different cable), then perhaps a bare Ndx suits better the OP tastes and system matching . Another dac could be also then considered, be it Chord, Mytech, Denafrips, …and dozens more.

4 Likes

Yup. I found the Naim DAC to be head and shoulders above the original NDX in performance, even when I had an XPS2 on the NDX. This was with both connected via a Hi-Line. What I found most interesting is the report of the DAC being spatially “flat”. I found quite the opposite, that spatially it became far more dimensional and “real”, if that makes any sense.

Are you using a BNC DC1 cable to connect the two? Hopefully you don’t have both analogue connections connected at the same time to the pre-amp and you’re paying attention to the system ground setting. Otherwise it sounds like something’s either underperforming badly or even broken.

7 Likes

Corsuse.
Looking at one of your system pics, you have SN2 and NDX on some support. Whilst the ndac isn’t. You could try putting the ndx and ndac on those two supports with the SN2 on the shelf lower.
This will give them both a level playing field to help you decide.
That poor little ndac doesn’t look too happy sat there where it is. :blush:

@Richard.Dane I’m using Chord Signature BNC cable. I don’t connect both analogue connections at the same time. When I play bare NDX I put it’s ground setting to ground and when I connect the nDAC I put NDX to float and nDAC to ground.

@TOBYJUG I have put also a support under the nDAC. Now I have the NDX on top left, SN2 on top right and the nDAC is on support on the bottom left (on a shelf under the NDX).

For sure, I will conduct some experiments first (before selling my nDAC) and if I find it suitable for me I might reposition my gear so that nDAC sits also on a top shelf.

1 Like

That’s fine - in this case the Naim DAC is the ‘source’ so the chassis setting here and float on the NDX is good (although the S/PDIF connection is galvanically isolated so the NDX switch setting won’t affect signal grounding in the rest of the system when it’s used as a digital source). As long as one component has the ground switch set at chassis and is the one connected to the amp, then all should be good.

1 Like

Richard - could you elaborate on the issue of having two analogue interconnects hooked up at the same time please? A few years back I found it useful to compare a DIN cable and RCA cable without the faff of physical disconnection running from my CD5XS into a Supernait 2. I made sure the signal was only running through one cable at a time via the remote control option. I was able to compare differences between the same piece of music in a few seconds at the push of a few buttons which was very helpful. Was I risking damage to either the amp or CD player?

2 Likes

Yes, firstly it a poor way to compare. Switching back and forth tells you little or nothing important. You tend to just focus on tonal differences or other cosmetic aspects rather than how the music connects with you. Better to choose a piece of music and play it through with one. Then the other. Then go back again, repeat etc.

Secondly, just choose one output and one input. That way it’s like for like and no chance of an earth loop having two connections which usually lowers overall performance.

4 Likes

I like to take things more slowly.

I bought an NdaC about 4 months ago, initially I used the Naim lavender interconnect for a week or so, then tried the Mogami. After a week or so switched back to the Naim, after another week switched to Mogami………. Eventually I didn’t have the urge to switch to the Naim cable.

So, I made my choice by listening to a variety of genres over a period of time without analysing how each cable sounds, but based on which cable gave me the most musical enjoyment.

4 Likes

Yup, I agree. If you can, better to take your time.

4 Likes

You are of course quite right James, I wasn’t thinking straight! I’ve deleted my post in case it causes confusion.

Hi, I found with the additional powersupply, specifically a 555PS the NDAC opened and tightened up, but the NDAC is a bass strong DAC… and isn’t the first in resolution and detail… more a euphoric organic type presentation.
As far as cables… then the best match overall with Naim amplification was I found Hiline… I used Naim DC1 for the SPDIF… I tried a few other types of cabling, but on balance I found these the most consistent across genres.
Oh yes Fraim and Powerline on the 555PS was worthwhile, less so a Powerline on the inbuilt digital electronics aux power feed.

2 Likes

Just curious , do these dacs need servicing after a certain time?

How’s the Xp5XS with your nDAC? “I know a guy” with a good deal on one but would prefer a XPSDR. PS are hard to find 2nd hand where I’m from.

The xp5xs is surprising on the dac, it’s an underrated psu, I was curious before I purchased as I know a lot of people on this forum would write it off as junk. It made things sparkle a bit more and I generally felt it brought a more organised presentation. Pretty damn good in my book. I rate it .

2 Likes

Yes. The DAC has capacitors that will eventually need replacement to maintain optimum performance. I’m not sure what Naim quote as a service interval on the DAC but if is likely somewhere from 10 to 15 years

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s also affordable that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Come on.
You folks have got to admit discussing that capacitors need a service for a dac is pretty amazing and bizarre.

Brain capacitors would be a weird discussion, indeed.

Some people are very interested in capacitors. In fact I have a collection of my favourite capacitors, the ALC40 is definitely in there. :innocent:

I found exactly the same what the OP experienced with my ND5XS2 + nDAC. The highs did not have the airiness and clarity that the bare ND5XS2 had. Bass and soundstage was indeed better with the nDAC on it but overall the I found the nDAC to sound too “dark” compared to the bare ND5XS2. Maybe that’s what some people refer to as analogue here. I thought the €900 that the 2nd hand nDAC cost was not worth it and I returned it.

I used the Naim DC1 and also the super expensive Chord Indigo. The cable differences were barely noticeable and I kept the cheaper DC1

3 Likes