NDS a bargain as DAC?

I have no nas and don’t want additional boxes or pc…

I have a system in a place where (provided I use a cable connection between the system and the internet box) I get Qobuz HiRes without crashes. Standard ADSL, no fiber.
I have another system in a place where I get crashes with Qobuz CD quality : cable connection either, standard ADSL either.
I compared both wifi and Ethernet cable connection in both places, mConnectHD in both cases. It makes a huge difference. I do not know but I had assumed that whereas mConnect monitors the flow, the flow itself goes straight from the box or switch to the transport. I see mConnect as a remote control with possibly additional fuctions but not a transport.

I use Mconnect on IPad( WiFi). Nds and Melco wired in Ethernet. Can’t see different way to stream Qobuz using Mconnect on Ipad.

UPDATE/…Past my initial enthusiastic discovery of the node 2i qobuz streaming sound quality, and even if I didn’t want to admit it, I was feeling something was not quite right because I wasn’t compelled to sit down and listen through the tracks, rather switching from one to another.
I was streaming wirelessly in the living room through a netgear network extender in my living room while my router and fiber box are in the master bedroom.
I just took a spare ethernet cable and plugged one end in the extender and the other end into the node 2i without expecting much… AND THERE IT WAS, AN IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT IN CLARITY AND DYNAMICS, RHYTHM…

Can you please help me understand this? Since the network extender is NOT connected through a wire to the internet fiber box (it extends the network for the wifi router wirelessly) why does the fact of reintroducing a Lan cable for the last stretch improve the sound quality out of the node 2i? Also please note that the wireless extended network was excellent as per the diagnostic tool from bluesound. Any insights?
Many thanks.

1 Like

Assumption: the last meter before the network transport is essential, standard Ethernet cable brings data flow stability vs. wifi. High end Ethernet cable brings still a marginal improvement vs standard cat6 cable.

This is a brilliant way to listen.
I am trying to emulate this approach.
Less is more.

1 Like

So have you directly compared streaming to the Melco?
e.g. by listening to a track (or two) on your Melco that you’ve bought as a download from Qobuz and then listening in an A/B comparison to that exact same recording in the same format from the same label streamed from Qobuz?

and if so, can you say a bit more about the difference in SQ?
is it a big or a small difference compared to other changes?

I ask this as I’m serously considering whether to go down the Melco or Innuous route, or just try to max out streaming even further?

thanks
Jim

I can’t have qobuz, only tried with Mconnect on iPad , but too many crashes. It was just a month free test.
Vs tidal, only for same tracks in 16/44, streaming locally from the Melco is clearly better for me: more tasty, more body and textures.
The difference is still better when streaming hirez files from the Melco.

1 Like

I you have a lot cd to rip, or if you continue to buy cds, better buy the innuos. The Melco ripper is one more box.

1 Like

I have maybe 300 cds ina box In the garage.

Much of Chet Baker, Miles, Monk, modern jazz classics, plus a few bits of Webern, Stockhausen, Bartok, Messiaen, John Zorn…

also, Caravan, Floyd, Hendrix, Nick Drake, Dylan, Sonic Youth, LED Zep, Tull, Beastie Boys, Brian Eno, Fripp, some bits of rave music.

But I’ve moved on from that and generally look to new music all the time now.

So I’d have to start a library again from scratch.

Getting all the stuff I listen to now via .tidal to own would cost 000s…

So I’m tempted to just push on with even better streaming sq…

Can’t you go to a dealer to try a melco. You put some hirez on a memory stick, the melco will download them in few minutes.
Then you compare same albums through tidal and hirez on melco.

1 Like

Yes, but is the really good Melco the one above yours?
It would be a large outlay and then one has to build the library too…

Could look to get something like an nds and a 282 instead…

Above= n1zh ? Or under= n100 ?
My dealer said that the first level Melco is not worth spending the money. No real difference vs a nas.
The n1zh 2 will be very probably my future upgrade.

1 Like

Thank you. Indeed. Now I’m thinking to try to see what happens if I skip the extender entirely and have the cable run from the wifi router to the node 2i directly. Curious to see if it makes a difference…
Thanks for all the advice and a great day to everyone
Nestor

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.