NDS : continuing problems

Davidr, do you observe the same problems when you stream from the Synology/MinimServer to a mobile phone or to some other device?

0 Likes

Hi - I have an older (I suspect) Asus router and occasionally lose connection to devices on the network. The only way I have found to fix it is a router reboot, but a software update earlier this year seems to have improved things.

Is your router software upto date ?

0 Likes

I am still experiencing the same problems within increasing frustration.

The issue is that the NDS cannot find the track, it does not matter if it is from the NAS or Tidal . If I wait a minute or so it rectifies itself

I am now using Roon as well as the Naim app and it happens whilst using both, interestingly with Tidal in Roon as well. This also happens when I try the NDS front panel to play from the NAS

The NDS and NAS are connected by Ethernet

I have tried the following:

1. Reboot router: does. Not always work
  2. Reboot NDS: always works

I have concluded that it cannot be:

1. The NAS as the problem occurs with Tidal
  2. It cannot be WiFi as the NDS is connected by Ethernet
  3. It cannot be the router as rebooting does not always cure it

I believe it is a network issue as i notice that sometimes Netflix has trouble finding content and then finds it, the same with iTunes TV content. Clearly it is not an internet issue as the problem occurs with the NAS content, so it must be the LAN.

Any ideas from the wisdom of the community would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes

What revision firmware is the NDS on ??? I don’t see it mentioned in previous posts
The latest is 4.7; if the NDS was new (5 months ago) it should be 4.6 & thats OK, but it might be worth a shot to re-install it.

0 Likes

Or maybe try a factory reset of the NDS first, as that’s a lot easier to do.

Best

David

0 Likes

Really ?? my f/w installs are connect, click & go, but I need to have all the settings written up to remember them all after a reset.
But no seriously, you’re right if DavidR hasn’t done it before & needs the cables etc.

0 Likes

It could be worth logging onto the router and checking its firmware is up to date, and presumably the nas is on the switch no on the router?

0 Likes

Sorry double post

0 Likes

Yes the router firmware is up to date and the NAS on the switch

0 Likes

So did you try a factory reset of your NDS?

Best

David

0 Likes

Have you checked, as I suggested previously, if the same problems show up also when you stream from the Synology/MinimServer to a mobile phone or to some other mobile device?

As a first step, you have to answer the question of whether what you are experiencing is a NDS-specific problem or not.

Test-streaming to a mobile device (you can for instance use the mconnect app in iOS or the BubbleUPnP app in Android and select as a renderer the “local renderer”) is the most straightforward way to answer this question.

If it turns out to be an NDS-specific problem, you can ask a Naim dealer to fix it.

Otherwise you’ll have to check your network components. Have you by the way had a look at the MinimServer log files? You can easily access them via MinimWatch.

0 Likes

Yes…no joy I am afraid…just lots of hassle!

0 Likes

Thanks, good advice I will test with mconnect.

I dont think it is the server as it happens with Tidal

0 Likes

My suspicion is that this is going to turn out to be a router issue then. If it were me I would be looking there next and not at reinstalling firmware in the NDS which I think personally is extremely unlikely to help (although if you know how to do it, reinstalling firmware is at least free, unlike replacing the router).

Best

David

0 Likes

Trouble is I have no idea what to look for in the router!

0 Likes

Just reboot it for a start😊

1 Like

@ guinnless Please read the thread

0 Likes

I think you should probably replace the router. Even if it’s some mysterious mis-setting or something, starting again with a new one will help to rule that out.
Best

David

0 Likes

Any recommendations?

0 Likes

Before you replace the router are you able to temporarily remove the switch and use spare switch ports on the router to test?

I suggest this as I had a very odd problem with the same model switch you use. It occurred when my NDX had the streaming module upgrade done. With the new module playback would stop after a minute, it would restart OK and then do the same. Replacing the switch resolved the problem but hours before with the old board it worked faultlessly.

0 Likes