NDS moved without locking bolts. OK?

I’m considering a used NDS but found out it was moved between 2x houses and put on it’s side without the locking fasteners in place. It wasn’t shipped like this but I’m concerned it may have been damaged. How sensitive are the internals to handling forces and orientation? Cheers

Inside are heavy brass plates that hold the PCBs and which are suspended on springs. When unlocked they are free to move around inside and so should never be moved that way. I would proceed with caution and suggest having the unit inspected by Naim first to check whether any damage has been done.

5 Likes

Oh dear. Unless you can get it checked out, I’d avoid this one. Plenty more around.

4 Likes

This thread is about an ND555 but I presume the suspension arrangement is similar? Sounds like it is pretty robust in general. When we buy stuff from eBay etc. we just don’t know how it’s been treated before we get it.

Yes! Oh dear! That does sound really bad. When I lift my NDS very gently and leveled I can hear the massive brass plates moving around on their spring suspension. Tipping it on one side might be disastrous. It’s already been said but I feel
So bad hearing this I had to write something. Hopefully it hasn’t been destroyed.

When lifting it I break out in sweat of anxiety not the weight :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

These boxes can be moved around the house without the bolts quite happily, so long as they are handled carefully and kept horizontal. If you have ever looked inside one, you’ll know why it’s important. If this NDS has been tipped up and moved without the bolts, don’t touch it with a barge pole. If they owner is that careless then who knows what else may have happened.

There are plenty of these around, but if you want this particular one, ask the owner to send it to the factory for a check and / or repair before you buy it. Even if people on here tell you it’s ok, you’ll always have that nagging doubt, which can spoil your enjoyment. Even at used prices, £2,500 or whatever is a lot of money and you need to be 100% happy with your purchase.

4 Likes

Absolutely this. And in particular for the boxes with the suspension. I do occasionally think about the NDS when considering upgrading my streaming setup, but would probably try and buy from a Naim dealer if I ever did. The extra cost I would hope pays for the peace of mind that the suspension is in good shape.

At least it sounds like the seller has been honest in the OP’s case.

2 Likes

I’d definitely stay away from it, for all the reasons mentioned by HH above. Unless checked and ok’ed at the factory I would never have peace of mind.

I bought my NDS from a dealer with a 6 month warranty for this reason. Dealers may not know how used equipment has been treated but at least they will take the hit for you. Not so worried about amps or power supplies. It was less than £2k so definitely worth talking to dealers.

1 Like

Generally I’d be asking a few general questions. If the previous owner volunteers that they have always used the bolts that’s a good sign.

It’s all about ‘buying’ the seller

Not specifically sure about the NDS, but I know the CDS2 was damaged if shipped without the bolts and had to be expensively repaired at Naim, so if any internals are similar it will have been damaged similarly.

NB

I’m gong to pass on the purchase. Even at 900 pound sterling it is not worth the risk. Thanks for helping me see the light.

1 Like

That’s very very cheap. Basically spares or repair money.

Band 7 repair is £549 (I think, that might be before prices rises!) , service the same again.

I’ve not seen a NDS go for less that £2k.

At least you know what’s up with it. It just might be worth thinking about buying it and sending it straight to Naim. You’d have a fully serviced and repaired NDS for £2k. And a very well known quantity at that point. Just a thought anyway. Might be more trouble than you want, or still a risk, but £900 gives a lot of margin even allowing for official repair

1 Like

What I’m not sure about is if Naim have limits on what they’ll fix for the fixed price!? If they open the box to find a bunch of bent springs and unattached components…

There are worse sights I guess, but maybe not if you work in the Naim service and repair dept.

If it ‘works’ - so is apparently fully functional - it could still well be worth considering.

There’s a post somewhere about a 250 that went back to Naim and when they opened it there was very little 250 left inside. I can’t remember whether they put it right or not. I think our Mod might remember.

Victim of a lightning strike, IIRC?

More likely aftermarket intervention rather than divine intervention :flushed:

1 Like

Yes, I posted that. The chassis had been scratch built. All that was left that was genuine Naim were the transformer and the boards. The service dept. Rebuilt it with a new chassis and properly wired as a genuine Naim 250 though…

7 Likes