NDS moved without locking bolts. OK?

I had a 135 rebuilt about 20 years ago after a major electrical hit (I was away so not sure whether it was a lightning strike, but I had to replace the whole fuse board that served the flat). The dealer told me that according to Salisbury the rattling sound when you lifted the 135 was the bits of the transformer.

2 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t worry about it being moved carefully, in a car without transit screws or carefully tipping it up on its side. Being handled by couriers is a different matter.

I can guarantee that naim have designed the NDS in such a way, that lateral and vertical movement of the PCB/brass block is restricted to a few millimeters, even when the transit screws are removed. If I bought it I’d take the top off and check the PCB moves freely in all directions. Although you might be able to do that without removing the top.

In the image below of a 552, it looks like there a 6 screws/collars restricting movement of the brass plate.

1 Like

Does anybody know the size and length of the shipping fasteners? I’m picking up this weekend and want to have it secured for the drive.

You can buy the correct bolts. Tom Tom Audio have them

Naim dealers can supply the correct transit bolts. IIRC they have black heads.

And just to add some more content to the conversation - here in the States when units are sent back to AVOptions Chris West sends out a pre shipment email.

In it he recommends an additional layer of protection and advises using heavy duty electrical tape applied in a X formation on top of the transit bolts. In this way, if they loosen during transport, there is a second line of defense holding them in place.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes definitely put tape over them as i had my 552, that went to naim to be serviced and that came back with 2 lose screws, luckily it was ok, then developed the relay fault a few days later, so had to go back again anyway, and was checked over.

Isn’t it great when the people you are supposed to get advice from do not do their own job properly! Yeah😎

just to share I moved the screw within the package to another house quite far away.
Unfortunately the NDS stopped working, connector issue.
as assistance is 100 km from my house and I did not read this thread before, I put the NDS in my car and drove to assistance where the connector was plugged, then drove the NDS back home. fortunately nothing happened and is still sounding amazing as when I brought it home. So it’s delicate but carefully can be moved

1 Like

Me too - high level of anxiety until those transport bolts are firmly in place.

1 Like

NDS is fantastic player. It is a great old school for me… both for the quality of engineering inside and ascetic looks. I do no think I will ever part with mine and this because of truly superior sound quality. I bought it from a great connoisseur who literally treated the unit in white gloves and I could rehearse it before the purchase. Today, knowing what NDS can do, I would not mind buying a unit with some risk at a very good price and send it to Naim right away for the service. A great player, almost as new in the house… with a bit of effort and waiting time that will be rewarded multiple times after.

3 Likes

It turns out M5 x 25mm fasteners will work if you don’t have the transport thumb screws. Set it up today and it sounds fantastic! Thank you everyone’s input on this, it was really helpful. Cheers.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome result. Very glad it worked out. Probably set some sort of record for NDS pricing too :slight_smile:

1 Like

It truly is an awesome result. The NDS is a fantastic player with what I would describe as a magical sound when partnered with 555PS DR. I have no idea how it sounds with other ps?

Sounds very nice with an XPS2. Does me.

1 Like

I agree.I have downgraded from 555PS and 555PS DR to an XPS 2 and the NDS still delivers very nice musical sound.

2 Likes

An absolute bargin NDS well done, and glad to see it all worked out fine.

2 Likes

I am using NDS with a non naim very basic power supply. I had it as I was using it with ND5XS and I have to say that gave a good boost in terms of clarity and detail to the ND5XS. When I was evaluating an upgrade of the source this PS was the key to let me choose NDS. I have to say I am very satisfied with the quality of the sound it delivers, full, analogic like, with well splitted musical instruments. I never tried other PS

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.