NDS or NAC552 fault?

Standard 552PS.

Ok, so less likely to be a PSU fault (but not out of the question).
It’s always advisable to include the power supply if you suspect a fault with a head unit when sending it for repair. Although this obviously adds to shipping/repair costs.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Stupid question but maybe worth asking: have you checked all the internal fuses?

He says all the logos are lit.

Is there a mute facility on the 552?……

1 Like

It has a mute button but it would light up. And even with mute engaged there is a faint hiss left if you put the hear right up to the tweeter, likely from the power amp, at least with the 300 DR.

Ah, missed that. I wonder if the inputs need to be set up again…? The procedure’s in the manual.

It’s not muted.

Another problem - I only have a remote for the NDS. I don’t think it allows me to put the 552 into programme mode. Please tell me if I’m wrong.

You’ll need a Narcom, Flash or R-com to do that.

1 Like

Weirdly, the system started working again after an umpteenth restart. I have no idea why. The NDS display is still dead. The plan is to ship the NDS and power supply to Naim for repair later in the year as they currently don’t have any replacement displays.
Many thanks to everyone who contributed helpful suggestions.
As a result of this experience, I have gone heretic and ordered a ZeroSurge 2R15W surge protector. I know it’s beyond the pale but life in the developing world is difficult and you have to make certain compromises.
I will report back on the effect on sound quality.

1 Like

Good news.

It may seem odd but sometimes Naim kit benefits from an overnight/extended power down – I assume to let the caps in the PSs drain and re-set. I had a lightning strike close-by a few years ago and it knocked-out one channel on the system - thankfully no damage done post a (nervous) power down.

FYI, in the UK now I understand surge protectors are now ‘code’ (for re-wires and new installs), given the numbers of vulnerable appliances households have e.g. games consoles and anything with a 'chip built in, which is likely to remain connected.

Be careful, I think to remember that surge protectors don’t give a good sound.
Or maybe it’s something like that.
I remember @Richard.Dane has posted on that. ( related to powerblocks)

Yes, a surge protector in a mains extension block that I plugged in to charge my MacBook in the music room made vinyl replay sound like i’d damaged the stylus. Now, it may just have been that particular block, but I would advise some caution, and best to try with and without to see how impacted is overall performance.

Richard,

FYI, under the latest issue UK wiring regs (18th), it seems that SP’s are now advocated for UK households - although the language is a open to question vis doing a risk assessment.

A sparky I recently engaged with cited they were, in effect, compulsory - although the language doesn’t suggest this in a domestic setting(?)

They are installed in a similar way to a breaker in a modern CU i.e. protecting all circuits, per the install I witnessed.

HL, that being the case, hopefully they have a more favourable effect on performance than the one in the mains block I used…

We’ll see - but it does raise questions on how our hi-fi’s might perform post re-wiring etc…and what individual sparkies may allow?

I suspect this may, in part, be due to the warning about potential power cuts due to supply issues et al, and insurers not wanting to pick up the bills?

Given your lighting prone location I think you should be aware that a surge protector will provide only very limited protection, and almost certainly no protction at all from a direct strike. Sure, your ZeroSurge may well be better than cheap power strip surge protectors, but don’t let it lull you into a false sense of security. The massive current in a lightning strike can easily arc across quite large gaps, and you should really unplug your expensive Naim boxes from the mains if you want to protect them.
Also remember that lightning can travel through other copper cables, including the Ethernet cable you probably use to connect your streamer and the coax cable that feeds your NAT, so you should be unplugging these too if you want to minimise the risk.

Could it not be the pesky mute relays in the 552 sticking? As mine when it was playing up, didn’t work for hours and then suddenly was fine, then I switched it off again and it didn’t work after that.

I think the sticking relays is a recent manifestation (bad batch) and didn’t used to be a problem. My reading is that the OP has had this system for longer than that.

Best

David

Comments re lightning noted. We get it fairly frequently and out of the blue so although I would unplug for a predicted storm it’s difficult to catch all of them.
The other problem is third world power providers. Ours is well known for destroying set top boxes etc.