NDS v ND555 compare time

let it play continuously for about a week, without comparing. In after a week there’s still no differences, then probably you have a non 100% perfect sounding nd555.
Can the dealer come to your house also ?

The issue needs to be raised with your dealer, if there is one. Or try Naim themselves.

2 Likes

Will speak with paul tomorrow at hifi lounge and see what he thinks about it, i know he has one back at the shop and could try it against that

3 Likes

It would certainly be worth a listen back to back with the hifi lounge nd555. If you still not impressed then you know its not for you.

Nobody has mentioned that the NDS is using a CHC555, while the ND555 is using a Naim 555DR. Is it possible that the CHC power supply is better? Even though it is against Forum rules to refer to non Naim power supplies, it is a variable. As an NDS owner, this thread is of great interest to me.

3 Likes

finely observed NO Q. Nobody pointed that. I wonder if this CH555ps can power the nd555 now.

I have used a non Naim PS and they (this one anyway) was nowhere near as good as my previous and current Naim power supply.

Conversely, you could argue it is possible there is something wrong with the PS555DR powering the OP’s ND555.

As others have said, it will need the dealer to sort this conundrum out.

It is surprising that the OP does not hook up the 555DR to the NDS too, just to see if the difference is in the power supplies.

the israeli one or the ch one?

The issue here is the grounding

Only one can be chassis

Otherwise they both won’t sound optimal

1 Like

Also, are they using identical interconnects?

Just to clear a few things up, as i have tried loads of different combinations now

To start with i used both with the ground switch the same, as didnt give it a thought at the time as was to excited just to hear it.
Both are using the highline and have even swapped around just in case.
Both have been in the rack and out.
Nd555 been on since Saturday around 2pm.
Tried switching burndy cables between units.

NOW I HAVE THE GROUNDING SET DIFFERENT, plus i have tried them both each way round.
I have tried the nds with both power supplies, just to see if the difference is large, to be honest by the time i have switched it over it didnt hit me as being any different, but i couldn’t be 100% certain as can’t do the instant switch test on it.
Can’t try my power supply on the nd555 as my power supply for some reason is not working on the clock power line and this was my problem i had on Wednesday, when i first picked the nd555 up on its own and then had to borrow this demo 555ps from Paul at hifi lounge.

Now i could have a bad one i guess, as the last owner only had it for a few months and then traded it back in, a bit strange i guess?
I think going forward this needs to be tried against another one, unless it suddenly comes to life this week, as by sunday night i need to make my kond up what i am doing.
Also with my luck on the naim 500 series doesn’t help lol.

But i do like the nd555, the screen, the remote and it has made my nds look old, but in the end of the day, spending this amount of money on top off the nds, it needs to sound much better, not just a little bit and right now we are miles away.
Maybe i will end up waiting for the next generation or just keep enjoying the nds ?

Cheers

1 Like

Time for your dealer to step in and sort things out, I’d say. You might be getting a good deal on a used one, but that doesn’t mean it should be sold to you or anyone else as substandard, and it will still have a warranty. I’m sure both Naim and your dealer will be keen to get to the bottom of this.

1 Like

Perhaps, like you, the original owner simply found the ND555 wasn’t worth the premium being charged. Unfortunately for him/her it had passed the return window so had to live with it or take a hit, chose the latter. It has sometimes been said that many owners of the more expensive/esoteric equipment find themselves victims of the placebo effect, simply because they can’t face admitting (primarily to themselves) having wasted significant amounts of money.

HiFi and amateur psychology - strange bedfellows, eh?!

1 Like

Cuddly toy.

1 Like

i see on google translate that a cat can be cuddly. so can’t guess which ps you used before.

So can a teddy bear.

FR, discussion of non-Naim power supplies is generally discouraged on here. Sorry

i understand Nigel, but you could just have said israeli or ch, one word…you have raised my curiosity. However i will not insist. no problem.

Cuddly toy is the usual oblique reference to one of the suppliers.

BTW, my old cat was far from cuddly. Pick her up for a cuddle and she would scratch your eyes out!

1 Like

Ok so after tonights headphone session, i can 100% say i can’t tell the difference.
Day 4 warm up for the nd555, dont know if it needs more time, but i dont know how much more time i can give it.
The only way i knew which streamer was playing was by looking at which output i had switched on.
Going to keep it on for a few more days but if its not changed by friday night, i think its time to park it for now, i for one dont think it will change even if i leave it till Christmas.
Looking more like a new dac is the way to go for an upgrade in sound and keep the nds for transport only, or just keep things as they are and enjoy.

1 Like