Nds v nd555

I looked into trading in my turntable, phono, NDS and XPRS DR for a ND555 with 555PS DR.

The answer is 12K!!!
Decided to stay with vinyl and NDS as 12K will by a lot of vinyl and I am sure my ears would not hear the difference between a NDS and ND555 for. 12K

Unable to listen to the NDS and ND555 side by side due to lack of rack space and arthritic spine, boy are they heavy.

2 Likes

I am a bit like you. Trading my Nds to have Nd555 would be even more, 17 or 18 k euros.
I see also that you have a Supernait 3, hicap. I feel that for less than 8k, trading your SN3 for 282/250 dr, you would have a much greater uplift in sound, and it would serve also your Palmer turntable.
And Nd555 into SN3 is really unbalanced too.

2 Likes

Tried ND555 but not enough difference to merit changing from my NDS/555. Qobuz added via Roon on RooUPnP re functionality. Much prefer the IR remote re volume etc (ND555 remote seemed clunky in my system).

2 Likes

Hi @RogerGround , I’m happy to hear this. I also have an NDS with Teddy PSs and I look forward to getting a 555PS in the near future. I almost had my hands on a well-priced used one, but it got away.
It’s connected to an SN2 via Hi-line and it sounds very, very good to my ears.
As FR says, I may upgrade the amp at some point, but I do love the sound of the SN2 and the simplicity of an integrated. The SN2 also has Teddy which I will be changing for a HicapDR soon.

I was hoping for the Wow moment, as all you hear is how much better it is, for me that certainly wasn’t the case.
Doing a side by side, same download etc, i was expecting a nice inpovement, but it just wasn’t there, people say it needs time, etc, etc, but i find if i can’t hear a difference doing it this way, then thats because there isn’t one. I have done many tests like this before and heard major differences.
Not saying that there is no difference as i am sure there is, as naim is not going to bring a newer model out thats not better, but i feel the differences are small and can see why, as really the nd555 is a mk2 nds, its not a completely new design and shares many components, its just been worked over really to iron out bits.
Like others have found the price difference is great, especially when i saw a nds being advertised for under £2k from a dealer just a few weeks ago and it even had the 2 burndy cables, bargin.

In the end i went everywhere to find the inpovement i was looking for.

Hi @frenchrooster

Unfortunatley I do not have the rack space for a pre/power combo, and I do not have the space for anymore racking.
So the SN3 will have to stay.

1 Like

Hi @R.K

May I ask what is involved in adding Quboz via Roon.
Is it complicated?
What does the Roon add on cost?
Thank you.

You need a Roon subscription and a computer of some sort to run it on, a bit like running a UPnP server but it needs more power. More details here:

There are lots of posts here explaining how to get Roon onto a 1st gen Naim streamer so I won’t repeat the options again.

I’m running RooUPnP on a Raspberry Pi 3 which I bought second hand for a few pound. Roon subscription is more and runs on my iMac. A far cheaper way of using Qobuz to the NDS is with an iPhone app - mconnect which is free for the lite version.

I really think it depends on the rest of your system. With my 500 system, I much preferred my CD555 to the NDS in every area and stuck with CD, but for me the ND555 was in another league and spectacularly so with 2 power supplies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.