NDS vs ND5XS2

Hence why I chose the ND5XS2 with no PSU upgrade, its an excellent streamer into an MScaler / Qutest with MCRU PSU.

This allows DAC upgrades down the line but why would I when this setup is the best I have heard.

On the used or ex demo market the price of the ND5XS2, MScaler and Qutest isn’t that different to the price of a new NDX2.

6 Likes

My thoughts, too.

2 Likes

Thought I would revive this thread, since I have been seriously thinking about the ND5XS2. After 6-8 months of using my RP10, Musical Fidelity Nuvista Vinyl as a source, I realize that, if I am honest, I barely ever use it. I was hoping to relive my youth I think, but it has become more of a chore to listen to Vinyl.
I sent an email to the dealer I got the RP10 from, to see if he would take it back on trade, for either an ND5XS2 plus a pair of Proac Tab 10 signatures, or an NDX2.
My plan is to use the Naim streamer as a transport only, so the ND5XS2 seems to make more sense. He replied to my email to call him tomorrow morning to discuss options, so we shall see soon.

5 Likes

Awaiting your further update mate

Cheers

1 Like

Feeding the MScaler you won’t be disappointed. I own two ND5XS2 one on the main rig feeding an MScaler/Qutest the other direct into a Nait 2.

Look forward to your findings.

2 Likes

The RP10 is a very capable turntable and you will need a very good digital source to match it.
When I moved from my Mk1 NDX to a current gen. streamer I got my dealer to set up a proper demo of an ND5XS2 and NDX2 into Chord Dave and we were very hard pushed to hear any difference at all, so I think you’ll be fine with the ND5XS2.

6 Likes

Hi FR

The ND5XS2 is superior to the NDS as a web streamer.

The NDS is superior to the ND5XS2 as a DAC.

Jim

1 Like

The dealer did not get back to me until late today, so I have to call him tomorrow now. I have a question for ND5XS2 or NDX2 owners… can you plug in a USB hard drive into the back of these, like 3TB western digital? If so, does it see all the contents in the APP, with Metadata?
I am just wondering if I traded in my Core, could this be a simple way to stream locally? I know the UQ2,272,NDS I owned only took thumb drives, but I think things changed with the new streamers ?

1 Like

I’ve never done it with my ND5 XS2, but you certainly can. It takes USB sticks, self- or BUS-powered USB HDDs—recommended less than 100,000 tracks for best performance whatever that means. Your Western Digital will work fine insofar as I can see.

3 Likes

That’s good to know, I seem to remember reading that you have to turn on server mode or something like that.

I believe that’s true. I have mine off.

I guess the next question is, would it sound as good as keeping my Core and using UPNP? Maybe it does not, otherwise why do Naim demo all their top streamers(ND555) with the Core as a source?.. so I hear.

The current Naim streamers run a version of Naim’s UPnP server, and if you view the files through the Server input (where they appear under Local Music) you will find them there and be able to browse the metadata.
You only need to turn on Server mode if you want other streamers on your network to play these files.
The streamer takes a while to scan the USB drive. If you need to remove the drive, say to connect it to a computer to add or edit music, the streamer has to rescan the drive, so with a large library you may find this a little inconvenient if done regularly.
Regarding sound quality, to me this sounds as good as a regular server (in my case, Unitiserve, Minimserver or Roon) so I’m quite happy to use USB.

If that sounds like it doesn’t meet your needs, a NAS for about £300 would do it, such as a QNAP or Synology running Asset.

3 Likes

Thanks Chris, well I have the Core already, but I am thinking he may take that in on trade as well, and get me closer to an NDX2…instead of the ND5XS2.
I will find out how generous he is feeling tomorrow I guess, remember, I am 5 hours behind you guys.

If you’re intending to use the Naim streamer into your Chord DAC, I would go for the ND5XS2. The NDX2 is a lot more expensive for just a screen and a remote.

4 Likes

Yes I am, and I will probably just go with the ND5XS2. That way i can also get a pair of Proac Tab 10 Sig’s or Kef Meta’s to play around with.

2 Likes

I can echo everything ChrisSU has already said and I went for ND5XS2 (rather than NDX2) to use with my Chord DAC.

Don’t see the point of the screen when it’s out of view from where I’m sat listening and it’s something extra to go wrong. My original ND5XS had the green screen which failed after several years … no such issues with the ND5XS2

Go for it and save some cash to buy music :grinning:

5 Likes

I would add in the ND5XS2 and keep the Core.

The NDX2 needs an external power supply to make a big difference from the ND5 XS2 (in my ownership experience of both streamers) when used as transport-only into Chord Electronics.

3 Likes

I am going to be really pissed if I go with the ND5XS2, then a month later Naim come out with a Half size box streamer only, that everyone wants.

3 Likes

I don’t think everyone wants it at all. A few people here do and no doubt a few people who aren’t on the forum might, but most Naim customers wouldn’t know the difference between a streamer and a DAC and as the difference in cost to build would be small, it wouldn’t actually be much cheaper.

Best

David