NDX 2 + SN 3 or Nova + 250DR to start? (Update Dec 2020)

I think many of us can only dream of such a dedicated hifi / home cinema room!!

2 Likes

I’m following this thread with great interest as i am in the process of upgrading from a Uniti Star to a SN3/NDX2. Low volume listening is also quite important for me. I am still wondering if i should not rather aim at the Nova and be done with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with the Nova. I think it comes down to where you want to ultimately land at, and of course your room/speakers/boxes/budget . My thought would be from a Uniti Star to look at the XS3/ND5XS2 or of course the SN3/NDX2 but it’s a lot more money.

1 Like

I have also thought about the XS3/ND5XS2 but had the feeling that it would be more of a sidestep and not enough of an upgrade. I already got a very good deal on the SN3 so i am waiting to find a used NDX2 at some point. The end goal is a 2 box system.

About the ND5XS2: it may not matter to some but i do use the remote very often and also would not miss the screen after having used it on the Star.

1 Like

The XPSDR is a more than worthwhile addition to the NDX2.
I owned an SN3, HiCap with the above combination and it was a very good system.
Unfortunately it gave me upgrade fever!

2 Likes

I tried Witch Hat Phantom speaker cables and a WH Snaic and did not like either of them in my system.

There’s so many factors effecting sound that we all hear different things in our home environment.
I would say that you seem to be the exception to what many have found using WH cables.

1 Like

I did not expect to do this so soon, but I jumped on an excellent deal on a 9/10 condition used HiCap DR this week for the Supernait 3. It will be easy/small enough to make room on top of my console next to my center channel speaker - the XPSDR, when the time comes, will probably require a new media console to accommodate it.

Looking forward to seeing what it will bring to the table.

3 Likes

Sure you will enjoy it the Hicap DR is a cracking bit of kit!

3 Likes

I’ve also found myself adding separate power supplies earlier than planned due to very good condition used units becoming available. Getting 2-3 years old and close to mint units for close to half retail price makes them far more attainable.

I first added a HiCap DR (spotless from Billy Vee) and more recently an XPS DR for the NDX2. Both provided significant SQ improvements which once added I’d hate to loose! The only minor issue would be that both units have some tiny humming about them, but that would be the case regards of whether they were new or used.

3 Likes

Yikes, when you say tiny humming, you mean from the PS itself or is it coming through the speakers?

Please keep us posted on what it does to your setup. I am contemplating to get one as well but first need to arrange a home demo.

1 Like

JSQT the units have a little bit of mains hum from them. Inaudible from my listening position so no major deal, just aware it is there when changing vinyl etc!

1 Like

Just another update as I have built out this system to what appears to be its “max capacity” with the recent addition of an XPS DR for the NDX 2. As a “final” addition today I replaced the Transparent Super cables ($2200) with a 4M pair of NAC A5 speaker cables ($500).

I am still feeling as though there is settling in for the overall system taking place even going on 3 months with constant daily use. There are many days where it sounds absolutely amazing and then there are days where it does not sound very good - boxy, weird distortions, lacking dynamics - to the point where some days I wonder if there is something going on with my ears.

I am overall really happy with the system, 80% of the time it sounds amazing. I may have expected somewhat of a bigger impact with the XPS DR but it definitely “completes” the sound.

From what I have heard this evening with several hours of listening to the NAC A5 cables versus the old Transparent, it seems the biggest impact has been a restoration of dynamics and a somewhat more forward sound - all good things that I believe will get better as time goes on.

3 Likes

Give the NACA5 a month of daily run-in. It’s miles better than Transparent and will let you hear your electronics at their best.

2 Likes

Very typical to be honest. Great system you have!

3 Likes

The Hi-line interconnect adds a fair bit of SQ. I added one between my NDS and SN2 about a year ago.
I recommend looking for a pre-owned one.
Best of luck, and enjoy the new system. Excellent choices.

2 Likes

Don’t worry that you’ve reached ‘max capacity’ because there is always the 555PS if you’re bored! I’m not sure if you still have the Transparent din lead but if you now have NacA5 it makes sense to use the Naim supplied cable. I have a Tellurium Q Black interconnect, with goes well with the TQBII speaker cables - using a single manufacturer for both seems to give a nice synergy. The previous owner of the interconnect bought it in preference to Naim’s Hiline, which is a cable I’ve never been particularly impressed with.

3 Likes

@ChrisBell - thanks, good to know they will continue to improve, though they already seem to have released a clamp down on dynamics that the Transparent Supers seemed to have.

@david1111 thanks, I may keep my eyes open for a used one. I already spent a ridiculous amount having a custom DIN cable made by Transparent, and since adding the NAC A5 I’m going to go back to the stock DIN for a while and see what kind of improvement (if any) there is. I am noticing what seems to be the difference with Transparent is that there is a smoother and beefier sound at the expense of PRaT and dynamics.

1 Like