NDX-2 with XPSDR

There have been some responses over time that mention that they have a 555-DR with the NDX 2. A couple of people have mentioned that they have had a demo of both the 555-DR and XPS-DR and chose the XPS-DR. Main reason was cost (USA Pricing) with the XPS-DR at $6599.00 vs the 12,999 for the 555.

I chose the XPS-DR after a long home demonstration with my NDX 2. I did not demo the 555, I’m positive it would have been an improvement over the XPS-DR but could not (would not) spend that much for a Power Supply for the NDX 2.

2 Likes

I can only relate my experience with the CDX2. The 555PS was a much bigger improvement over the XPS than the XPS was over the bare CXS2.

1 Like

I use my NDX2 with 555PSDR. I bought mine pre loved to power my (then) nDAC. It’s now taking over PSU duties with NDX2. It’s sounds awesome and definitely staying in my system

1 Like

I have mentioned this before but it’s an option for those with a 282/HiCap.

Rather than spend the money on an 555PS for my NDX2, I bought a XPSDR and also upgraded my 282/HCDR to a SuperCap DR. Each of them contributed improvements, but the added advantage of the SCDR was that it also gave my analog source a lift.

Disregarding other sources, I wonder how the two might compare. Adding a 55PS to a NDX2/282/HC system (leaving the HCDR alone) or adding a XPSDR and upgrading the HCDR to a SCDR, as I did?

1 Like

I have used an NDX-2 for quite a while. Adding the XPSDr made a big difference: more detail, better soundstage and better imaging. All without loosing any of the boogie-factor or timing. I’d recommend anyone using an NDX/NDX-2 to add a PSU.

Today I replaced the XPSDr with a 555Dr. Been searching for one on the second hand market for quite a while; they are not offered very often. Even the system played only for a few hours now, the changes are remarkable: a lot more « authority », more detail and especially individual instruments that are better separated. One can hear it immediately. I read a lot on the 555dr but never expected the change this impressive.

Iver

7 Likes

When considering a 555dr, I’ve seen a few that are labelled CD555DR second hand for sale. I assume these are just the same?

3 Likes

Yep, if you look at the Naim product page for the 555PSDR it still shows the CD555PS label on the rear picture…

3 Likes

Have the 555Dr now for a few days feeding the NDX-2 replacing an XPSDr. Observations confirm what I already and shared earlier: more authorithy, better separation of instruments and better imaging. An additional thing I noticed that the bass control bettered: I had the rear bass-port of my Kanta-2’s closed using some foam. Reason was a slight booming with some records. With the 555Dr it is better to have the bass-ports just open en breathing. It gives more bass and doesn’t loose control. Very happy with that

Iver

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.