NDX 2/ XPS DR vs. ND 555/555 PS DR

He already has the NDX2…

Yes I know he has. The suggestion was to sell the NDX2 and buy a NDS and 555DR. Then when prices for the ND555 come down to more sensible levels, replace the NDS with the ND555. It depends on whether the OP is wedded to the new streaming platform or not but, if he’s not fussed about the screen etc, the NDS should sound better than the NDX2.

1 Like

By all accounts the NDS is only marginally ahead of the NDX2, so the better way is probably to get the 555PS for the NDX2. If it does for that what it does for my 272 then that may well be enough.

2 Likes

That would depend, at least in part, on the streaming sources you use. For online streaming services your only option is Tidal on the old streamers, which doesn’t sound quite as good as local streaming. On the new platform you have the option of native Qobuz 24 bit streams which are a big improvement. I haven’t done the comparison, but in terms of services that are supported now, Tidal/NDS vs Qobuz/NDX2 might be interesting.

1 Like

When I did the comparison, I thought that the NDX2 was going to be more than enough source for my humble SN3. What surprised me most of all was how the SN3 kept showing the improvements as we went up through the power supply upgrades and then to the ND555. Whilst I am sure I didn’t hear the best of what any of those source components could achieve in a higher end system, for me there was a beauty about the way the ND555 presented music that was very easy to hear, @Gazza mentioned hearing a difference within a few piano chords, it was similar for me, even with a SN3.

3 Likes

And there, Sir, is source first in a nut shell. With well match speakers, the SN will just keep on delivering what it is given.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.