NDX letdown

That should be correct if the CD5 is still connected to your pre-amp.

It may be worth trying what someone else has suggested - disconnect the CD5 and all other sources from the pre-amp and set the Signal Ground switch to Chassis

They chose the wrong hardware platform and it had consequences for sound and development so it’s very relevant here. The dealers had differing views but the consensus was “well they’re finally in the game but only the NDS is in the game with products from other manufacturers”. That’s a very broad summary but essentially the gist.

We seem to be having a discussion about what you’d expect versus what others have actually heard. The 2i when set up properly easily competes with an NDX and that shouldn’t be any surprise at all. Things move on quickly. The NDX was a sub par release in my view and time caught up with it very quickly.

Agreed that they chose the wrong hardware platform and there is no doubt that it had consequences for development. For sound, it’s the first time I heard, this is why I was asking. “well they’re finally in the game but only the NDS is in the game with products from other manufacturers” can be anything.

We seem to be having a discussion about what you’d expect versus what others have actually heard. The 2i when set up properly easily competes with an NDX and that shouldn’t be any surprise at all. Things move on quickly. The NDX was a sub par release in my view and time caught up with it very quickly.

I’m not really having this discussion, as like I said I haven’t heard it. When I wrote “expect”, I meant on the surface of it, based on brand reputation and price. If the NDX has poor sound (or at least on par with a CD5 according to the OP and beaten by a 2i according to you), it’s a disappointment but I have no problems accepting this, just like I said it does not seem a view shared by all, so it surprised me, is all.

Please do find me a view on here or indeed anywhere that is shared by all :slight_smile:

Sure, absolutely.

Hi jsawyer09, thanks for you reply; it’d seem that I’m in the same conditions as you at the beginning.
I like the cds for their easiness, but I’m convinced that this format will be definitely substituted by the streaming world, and this is why I gave it a try.
I’ll try to figure this new world out, opting for an ethernet connection (sooner or later :-D)
Thanks and ciao

1 Like

I bought my used NDX a year ago and to me it sounds great, no complaints!

3 Likes

I had an ndx for a year or so before moving to an nds. I really liked the ndx, both with its own internal power supply and then even more with a 555 power supply.
I found a few things seemed to help with the sound quality on my own steep learning curve. Ripping cds in wav sounded better than flac to me. Connecting streamer/router/nas with decent quality ethernet leads lifted the sound further again, then using a better quality ethernet switch (cisco 2960) lifted things again.
These were all things that gave noticeable improvement in both mine and also in naim using friends systems. I really would give them a try and see if you still feel the ndx is lacking, I doubt you will be disappointed.

1 Like

Thanks for your tips :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.