Ndx output change key presses (no display)

Hi everyone!

I have an Ndx with a dead display. It was working fine until a recent 4.8 firmware update. After the update it could no longer access the internet so it would only play from the upnp server on the local network. The ndx was configured to a static ip and it somehow lost the gateway ip. After the firmware update the gateway was 0.0.0.0. As the display is completely dark i could not reenter the gateway manually.
So I did a factory reset by pressing the stop button while powering up. It has now dhcp enabled and it can access tidal or spotify. The problem now is that there is no sound coming from the Ndx. I can control the Ndx through the Naim&Focal iphone app. My question is: did the factory reset change the analogue output?
My ndx is connected to a supernait.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that i use the phono output to connect to the supernait. Most likely the default analogue output is DIN and this is why i get no signal from the NDX.
Since my display is dark i cannot change the analogue output. What should solve my problem would be the key sequence to change the analogue output to phono from DIN.

Thanks!

George - you are right in that it will have defaulted to the DIN output after the reset. The user manual link should give you some pointers (see section 4) on the key presses required to get the RCA outputs enabled again.

Good luckšŸ¤ž

PS - Did you not get a DIN > DIN ā€˜lavenderā€™ interconnect that normally comes supplied with the NDX ?

Ah ok, understood.

Hopefully someone who still has an NDX and a working screen may be able to help with the key press sequence. You may want to change the thread title to get the right attention.

Edit - this may help. Itā€™s a ND5XS but the menus should be the same

The menuā€™s are the same with ND5 & NDX

But @GeorgeP , whats your plan to get the display back, without it the NDX makes an OK doorstep, with a display its a damn good streamer.
And tip for when you do get the dispay fixed, set the display ā€˜onā€™ time for the minimum, its 10 seconds, it stays on all the time when youā€™re setting uo your prefered settings, but you ready donā€™t need it to display anything when its playing, the control point (phone or tablet) does all that a whole heap so-o much better & its in colour.

I am from Bucharest and the local dealer quoted the display replacement at 700 Euros which seems a bit much to me. The NDX sounds beautifully and I have been enjoying it without the display for a few years now. The display gave up on me three years ago.

The fact that the menus are the same is surely helpful. I read this thread and it did offer some clues about how to operate the NDX with a dead display, however, I am still in the dark here.
Changing the thread title is a good idea. Thanks.

Iā€™ve amended the thread title for you. @NeilS may be able to help you here.

1 Like

I believe Naim charge Ā£130 (ā‚¬148) plus shipping

Try the following:
From a fresh power up/boot,
Using the remote control, press the spanner button
Press the down navigation key four times
Press OK twice
Press the down navigation key once
Press OK
Press Exit

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Neil, i no longer have the remote control but instead of the spanner button i long pressed the OK button, about 5-6 seconds. Then I used your suggested sequence. I even did that after a new factory reset.
Unfortunately, there is still no phono output from my NDX.
For how long should the OK button on the front panel be pressed to enter settings mode?

Only a couple of seconds, using the front panel buttons as you describe should also work.
The sequence relies on the unit being fully booted up & in the default state (DIN).
I wonder if the unit is actually in a fault state, hidden by the dead screen - a DSP fault perhaps?
Just thinking aloud really - I donā€™t know how the app behaves in that scenario.

Regards
Neil.

I believe there is a strong possibility that this error may prevent me from entering the settings menu.
I have had in the past this error ā€œFault DSP Error MHz ā€¦ā€ but it was always fixed after a restart. The unit was working very well and it did not bother me as i was able to control the NDX with the app.
I am still able to control it with the app and I guess I am going to switch to a DIN interconnect.
Thank you for your attention!

I believe there is a strong possibility that this error may prevent me from entering the settings menu.
I have had in the past this error ā€œFault DSP Error MHz ā€¦ā€ but it was always fixed after a restart. The unit was working very well and it did not bother me as i was able to control the NDX with the app.
I am still able to control it with the app and I guess I am going to switch to a D

I finally got the DIN cable today and itā€™s all good. It seems to me that it sounds even better now.
Thanks everyone for your attention!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.