NDX/SN2/Hi-Cap to NDX2/282/250DR/XPS DR - what’s the best upgrade path?

If you’re in a position to do so, plan, save, do it all in one go.

Best to go from one balanced system to another in my view, even if it means sitting pretty for a couple years.

If your main use of the NDX is local UPnP streaming, I’d be tempted to add a XPSdr and not go to the NDX2. The original NDX is a superb source. I’m not a fan of current models as an upgrade path. Yes, they are much better but it still feels like a sideways move. There are people who would trade in a 2002 Ford Focus for a 2019 model and call it an upgrade. Yes, the new one is significantly improved. But to me, the upgrade from a old Focus wouldn’t be a new Focus, it would be a Lexus or a Porsche or something. Ditto with the NDX.

2 Likes

Is your Hicap the latest DR version? If yes then the 282/250DR can be a great end system. 282 and 250DR together first if you are able to.

Ignore the 252 recommendation as you will need to upgrade the Hicap to a Supercap DR. Once you reach the 282 the only place to go is 552, or stick with the 282.

2 Likes

Normally, I’d agree with that, but with trade talks failing, big price hikes in the New Year must be likely (assuming OP is in UK). If it were me, I’d be getting as much as possible ordered now, starting with NDX2.

Roger

Ignore my suggestion if you like @AndyL68 but I should add it’s made having taken exactly the same upgrade path as you are speculating on.

G

Many thanks for all of your thoughts and advice. To be honest I was expecting the XPS DR to be the resounding winner, which is clearly not the case. I did like the idea of adding a 250DR to my SN2, especially as I’m hoping to change my speakers over the coming weeks. With that in mind I’ve just placed the winning bid on a nice 2018 model.

I think my next move will be to swap out the SN2 for a pre-owned 282 as the sale of the SN2 should cover the lions share of the upgrade.

Thanks again,
Andy

4 Likes

For you, it might be. There is rarely any meaningful consensus here on these issues. Never mind, I’m sure your speakers will like the 250.

1 Like

So was I, but that’s the nature of the Forum. A lot still prefer amplification over source. Still, if you get to an end result, it’s all swings and roundabouts.

+1 for XPS DR. A must !

3 Likes

enjoy I loved my NDX when matched with 282/HCDR/300

282 is a lovely Pre AMP with HCDR, to see it in full bloom SC or SCDR takes it to another level

I am a bare user, XPSDR did not a thing for me but I shall try hear again in the future as seems strange it did nothing.

2 Likes

Bit chilly this time of year for that, @popeye!

5 Likes

…they say a can of spinach will warm a guy right up.

2 Likes

I have removed some posts here. Please respect forum rules regarding discussion of unauthorised modifications (or directing members to discussion of same elsewhere); there are potential serious warranty implications should their use result in damage to Naim equipment. Thank you.

Is this really necessary @Richard.Dane?

This smacks of censorship which is controlling forum members ability to share some great non-Naim products and innovations.

Thankfully I have bookmarked the product that was shared earlier. Personally I’d like to get advice from my dealer if it’s worth checking out, and if necessary, contact Naim to see if this constitutes an unauthorised modification.

Of course, feel free to remove this post too - if so, go the whole hog and remove me from the forum.

2 Likes

Hi Bongoman, yes it is very necessary, and the forum rules are long-standing and very clear. Use of unauthorised modifications, including 3rd party SNAICs, Burndy cables etc… (basically anything that routes DC voltage within or between equipment) will not give you the performance Naim intended. But perhaps more importantly here, there are serious potential warranty issues with the use of these items should they cause damage to Naim equipment. There have been issues in the past with this and that was why the rule was introduced by Naim. We should all be familiar with this rule by now, so I would ask you, and all the other members, including those who may well have something to sell here, to respect it. Thanks.

1 Like

Surely there is more of an issue with people using third party speaker cables with incorrect impedance than something that is made for a specific product. And speaker cables from other manufacturers are allowed…

There are certainly potential issues, especially with older amps, with using very high capacitance and low inductance speaker cabling (what Naim used to refer to as so-called “high definition” cabling), but mostly this is just a performance issue; with the current amps, in the worst case the amp should shut down or thermally trip, but it should not blow up, or at least not unless you use those cables (Townsend?) that are like thick strips of metal, or like tightly woven plaits, and even then I’d expect the amps to get distressed, shut-down, but survive. In the old days of the forum it was regularly debated at Naim as to how zealously the speaker cable requirements should be enforced. In the end it was decide that when it came to speaker cabling, Naim would make strong recommendations but ultimately, it would fall to the Naim dealer to best advise.

However, where you have DC voltage at play then that’s effectively a modification of the equipment and all bets are off. If there’s an error in construction or a failure and voltage goes the wrong way, the results can potentially be pretty catastrophic. When it’s all Naim then it’s a straightforward case of mea culpa for Naim, but when you introduce 3rd party parts then things get murky and complex very quickly. Naim have been there in the past and would rather not have such a situation in future. AFAIK that position has not changed. Put yourself in Naim’s shoes, and you would make the same call.

This is such an obvious and longstanding forum rule that I am amazed people keep falling foul of it. The interpretation of what is and isn’t against some other forum rules eg the politics rule is more nuanced and blurred…

Focus on the electronics, first and foremost. There will be negligible difference sound quality wise, between a Fraim and Fraimlite.

1 Like

Dont get people started on this…

1 Like