NDX+UnitiServe vs HDX

I have a HDX (mentioned in other threads) and I bought it mainly for the kids. I bought one that had a fault cheaply from the well known auction site as I was not sure about spending a lot on one. Then like @dave-marshall sent it off for a full service and paid same sort of price and it came back as good as new. It now nestles in my rack, the app is on the kids and wifes phone so they dont need to touch anything and they have all their music ripped and they create play lists etc. Is the sound NDX level ? I dont know but for me it is a great one box solution that is literally kids play. I put a powerline on it and that did improve the sound and I was thinking of seperate DAC but in the end I upgraded my pre instead and that helped my TT as well. For me the HDX is a great solution as fits in aesthetically, easy to use and at the end of the day does sound pretty darn good, if not really top end, certainly good enough for the circa 1k-1.5k cost of a used one now.

you means that feeling using button of the old HDX is better than new NDX2? if yes, what do you mean, can you explain a little ?

unfortunately I think it’s not so easy and cheap from Italy, I have to pass through a dealer and I think the price would be doubled. Then I have to find a good condition and good price unit .

correct. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The resistance to movement is not the same and there’s a sense that the buttons wobble slightly from side to side rather than go in when pressed. Consequently there’s a sense that without care a button could jam or disappear inside the box.

Ripping a cd to a lossless format, and ensuring that the metadata is right, is a rather trivial task with a laptop with an optical drive and some low-cost software. You do not need a specialized-to-task box to do this, although they exist and if you’re so inclined can buy one. But not the UnitiServe, as indeed it’s out of date.

Then you’ve got to store and serve the files, which is almost trivial using a Nas and low-cost software as well.

But if you really want an all-in-one solution, which is a reasonable decision if you feel insecure about learning how to do the above, an Innuos Zen at
£ 899.00 seems reasonable. A VortexBox pre-built from Small Green Computer co. is almost as expensive.

No not really I have always built mine from scratch. Its not particularly difficult. That being said I have moved on now and use roon, particularly because all my cds are ripped and I dont buy these as a format anymore.

1 Like

How do you judge your experience with Roon ? is it similar, better or worst then spotify, Tidal ? why ?

Hi I dont use spotify. I am into my second year with roon, Its literally the first software that stopped me looking at anything else, I simply cannot concieve of using other software at this stage.

I have a jRiver licence, it pales against roon.

For me the stuff around find artists and music and stuff is at best fluff, I really dont care, but what IU do love is the vast range of products it works with, leading to me having a house full of music in every room, from apple TVs to hifi, to PCs, to Macs. The same music, same radio stations, same tidal saves etc all from one interface, its rock solid too.

Sound quality wise, well I dont really subscribe to perceived sound quality differences between different softwares in the same device. It sounds great. Looking for music is instant, play back is instant and solid.

Thats all really.

1 Like

I had the unitserve, then linear ps for the unitserve. Today a melco n1h2.
The unitserve can easily fail ( hdd failure) . So risky. It’s an old server now, not followed by Naim. For 1k you can have a much more friendly Innuos zen mini or second hand zen. The metadata will be much easier to change and your albums will appear very quickly on your app.
With the Unitserve, some albums, regularly, could appear only many hours after.

Yes, I agree that the Unitiserve is now getting old, but it can transcode which the Core does not do…

You need to install the desktop client on a laptop and then you can refresh the Unitiserve and any new albums will show up.

You can. With the innuos you don’t need a pc.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.