NDX vs ND5xs2 as a transport to external DAC

Love your profile picture… Pearl for the Flintstones?

1 Like

As a DAC the NDS is an nDAC on steroids, with extra isolation, no transformer etc.

Plenty here use ND5XS2 into nDAC/PSU very happily, we use an NDX2 (mainly because SWMBO wanted a remote).

There are plenty forum threads on NDS/555 vs nDAC/555.

Or NDS as DAC… this thread… NDS a bargain as DAC?

It’s the one itch I might scratch at some point given used prices. Just how much improvement would swapping our nDAC for NDS bring……

1 Like

So, I’m guessing from thr system in your sig you rate the nDAC over the DAC in the NDX 2 then?

I’ve posted in detail on this.

Yes, but only just. Very, very close run thing. We preferred the slightly darker, bassier presentation.

In a different room, with different speakers/cables, we might have gone for NDX2/555PSDR.

Both are excellent options. We also like having every component separate, provides an element of future proofing and upgrade ability.

Our current system “clicked” after burn in only last week and we are enjoying it immensely.

1 Like

@chargel it’s great for hard rock : )

2 Likes

Thanks. Given that it’s close, I am leaning to the NDX 2 rather than an nDAC (or Qutest) with ND5 XS 2, with the later option of a used XPS DR. That will still leave funds to upgrade my amp a little later too.

1 Like

Happy Primare NP5 user here too.

Unassuming little box, but works fine. I very occasionally have to restart mine, but it works well into my Hugo, whether I cast to it from the Qobuz app, or stream from local UPnP server.

To my ears the NDAC is a significant upgrade to the DAC in the NDX2. So my first choice here would be ND5XS2 into NDAC or whatever Chord or other DAC you like the sound of.
You will always find a range of opinions on this, of course, so you will just have to listen for yourself and decide what where your preferences lie.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.