NDX vs NDX 2

I added XPS DR to NDX2 and that was also a very significant step up. So much so that my wife noticed it immediately, and subsequently contributed to XPS purchase.

5 Likes

Same with me, the uplift brought about by the XPS DR fully justified the cost.

I was looking out for a XPS DR for the NDX2 but stumbled across a really old 555ps and decided to take a punt on it.
Was really surprised at the improvement in sound. I will send it back to naim for a service when the present viral situation has changed.

3 Likes

I have a NDX currently and wondering whether a power supply would improve the performance? Which power supply would you recommend and how much is this second hand?

Also, I would like to add that my system’s amps are not Naim.

You can, on a tight budget, even use an XP5XS on an NDX. An XPS would be better. Just don’t get a really old one that’s incompatible. A 555PS is top of the range, but I would certainly recommend listening carefully before spending that much cash, as more does not always mean better.
Also, with the XPS and 555, there are the upgraded DR versions to consider. They will be more expensive, and might subjectively sound better to you.

Xps dr. Google is your friend to find ex demo or second hand ones.

1 Like

An XPS on an NDX will take it to around the level of an NDX2 without a PSU upgrade.

1 Like
  • al the new technic inside

I’d be cautious about such a statement. If using as a DAC only, then possibly… although in my personal experience I found my NDX and my NDX2 sounded quite different irrespective of how they were powered… but I agree that is subjective.

Now the objective part, as a streamer, the NDX2 is more capable than the NDX, and this capability is not affected by how the streamer is powered.

Simon

I agree, it will sound different but likely at a similar level and preferences will play a part.

This is based on a speculative conversation I had with Steve Sells at the forum bash we both attended a while ago.

I had a similar conversation with Steve on the same subject.

Would XP5XS provide significant upgrade to a NDX? I’m interested because it is an entry level PSU. If it uplifts NDX performance it would be interesting whether it is because it’s a better PSU than the internal one of NDX or because the current is coming from an external source which is fundamentally different approach of powering the NDX (current coming from outside not internally).

To be honest I’ve never heard it on an NDX, although a few people have posted positive comments about it here. Something you really need to demo for yourself, I think. An XPS DR is certainly a big upgrade, but you might just find an XP5 for a lot less cash.
I used an external DAC with my NDX, and now on my NDX2, so I’m not going to bother with a PSU as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.