NDX2/252/SCDR/300DR TAD ME1s + Naca5

Should I be looking to upgrade the NACA5 to SL? Or are there non-Naim speaker cables that are recommended for this setup?

I have the same system as you (plus a 555PS DR and minus the TADs). I tried SL speaker cables and was not impressed. My father, who also has hearing loss, listened to both sets of cables and agreed. The comparison wasn’t even close for either one of us. I ultimately went back to NACA5 and I couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

Don’t have an answer for you but if you use the search function and do a search on ‘SL vs NACA5’ you will find a number of threads that discuss speaker cable…

It is tedious I know but I have found very informative comments which were very helpful over time with using the search capability on the forum.

2 Likes

Surely Naimlore has it at XPS-DR first on your streamer box?!

2 Likes

A power supply on the NDX2 at this level, surely? I have the SL full loom and very much like it.

1 Like

NACA5 cables are without doubt good cables, they are tried and tested by many on this forum… that said your system deserves better…
SL is a good fit, TQ range from Ultra black up…

Best to have a chat with your dealer and have a home dem…or 2…

1 Like

I know this next sentence will astound some, but I just don’t have the space for another black box …:frowning:

1 Like

I moved from NACA5 to Altas Hyper 3.5 with very good results. Same musicality, but more refined and much better in the low frequencies IN MY SYSTEM. So I would give them a try. Also, they are not overly expensive.

1 Like

A power supply for the NDX2 really is what you should be looking at. All the expensive speaker cables in the world cannot achieve what a source upgrade can do.

3 Likes

Based on experiences from those who have upgraded from NACA5, low-priced to high-priced options as follows;

Atlas Hyper 3.5
Chord Epic
Witchhat Phantom
Tellurium Q Black or Silver
Naim Superlumina
Chord Signature XL
Tellurium Q Ultra Black or Ultra Silver
Chord Sarum T
Tellurium Q Black Diamond or Silver Diamond
Chord Music

For the quality of your system perhaps look at Witchhat Phantom upward.

3 Likes

Even Atlas Hyper 2.0 is an alternative to A5. I use it in preference to A5. The fact it costs less fidn’t even factor into it.

1 Like

I switched out NACA5 for Tellurium Q Ultra Black. I much prefer it. It sounds like a better version of NACA5, keeping all the speed and prat, but being more open and detailed.

2 Likes

@marka has the same level of system and is happy with running an NDX2 bare.
Have a look at his latest systems video for a full run down. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Kudos have a speaker cable - heard it’s good (not tried myself yet)

Hi, thanks @popeye . Just a small note of clarification, my statement in the video wasn’t meant to put anyone off buying an XPSDR or 555DR for their NDX2.

I’m convinced that route of upgrade would definitely yield good results - since adding an external PSU to any of Naim’s gear that supports that kind of upgrade generally does.

Practically speaking I simply don’t have the room in the rack for it and I like the NDX2’s sound as it is.

1 Like

I have the same practical limitations, no space for another box, and the wife would think I’d gone mad if I said I needed to buy another … but cables I could perhaps get away with :slight_smile:

Are you able to share a link to the vid? I’ve searched but can’t find it.

Thanks for all of the comments/feedback. It really is interesting to read these views on he subject

1 Like

while NACA5 is very good for the money. I find SL considerably superior… at it should be for that kind of money.

Great video, stunning setup, it looks amazing and I can only imagine how nice it must be to spend time in the room listening to music. Thanks @marca for having the idea and making the effort to record this, it has given me some great ideas - thank you

I’ve just changed from NACA5 to Witch Hat Phantom resulting in a significant improvement in SQ.

1 Like