NDX2 after 3 weeks of ownership

I entered a couple of ebay bids for some nice second hand XPS DRs but didn’t win. Let us see what happens.

5 Likes

The reply wasn’t meant to be about ‘affordability’, more about ‘common sense/pragmatics’…

The OP looks to be building up a very nice, balanced system…

(perhaps the OP should consider changing to a SN3, and release funds for an £8K PSU…)

2 Likes

Not necessarily nigel (and I refer to priorities here). In my case I had intended to upgrade my 200DR to a 250DR but a 300DR was available. The 300 is probably my end game power amp. I just now need to decide what upgrade is next 555PS, 252/SCDR or even a 552. I need to listen but I’m inclined to go for the 555.

2 Likes

Another opinion presented as an absolute.

5 Likes

HH knows what’s best for us all, surely you see that😉

8 Likes

Maybe he is our hifi coach ? :laughing:
Today there is a fashion to have a coach, a coach for sport, for investments, or whatever.
« Darling, which butter have I to buy for tonight ? »
« ask your coach ! »

3 Likes

in my experience and if it was my money (or ok, at least my 2 cents) in this case, I would first go for an improved amplification with this system and at this point.
Obviously both a PSU and a better amp would be good to add but I believe this setup has likely needed more/better amp with the current Sonus even before adding the NDX2 and even thinking about the Olympica Nova, I would say the 150 is just not there. (no personal experience but the Sonus Faber would not be exactly the easiest unless in a very small room?). Of course the OP’s observations with regards to noise floor with the NDX2 are correct as the biggest impact of the PSUs is exactly that but I think with a better amp the music will come way more alive, dynamic and better at lower volume and, with this, the perception of quieter background, and until the NDX2 future upgrade is considered - and rest assured, being on this forum one gets reminders about that often enough. Unfortunately I think one should buy an NDX2 only if a PSU is planned and in budget, otherwise … owners know only too well how it feels and works

Hi

Did you check the grounding position of the switch on the rear panel? As you have a CD5x it should probably be set to floating. Worth trying both ways for a couple of tracks and choosing the sound you prefer. The difference is easily enough to make the NDX2 seem close to the CD5x in performance.

5 Likes

Just an observation that the comparison betwen the NDX2 and the CD5x with the 122/150 might not necessarily be representative of the same difference with better amplification - when the NDX2 might reveal itself to be more of an upgrade?

( I was tempted to use the term ‘performant’ but I just can’t bring myself to! :flushed:)

3 Likes

good suggestion. No I have not checked. My system is packed in boxes for two weeks for some home renovation but will surely look into that. Anybody can elaborate on the difference?

Similarly, I run a Clearaudio Ovation/Universal/DVXV-1s with SuperLine/SupercapDR. It smokes the NDX2, but with a XPSDR that’s a very different story. The TT betters it, but doesn’t shame it. External PSU is really what makes the NDX2 shine as a legit source for a great system.

2 Likes

Are you in the US?

Saudi Arabia

One way will time a little better and the whole musical message will sound a little more grounded and possibly solid.

There don’t appear to be any psu on eBay .

I go against all and say the NDX2 can hold its own on its own and dose not need an XPS or 555… :grimacing:

1 Like

Shiver me timbers!

6 Likes

Of course it can hold its own and certainly doesn’t “need” an external PSU. It will give more if it does have a XPS or greater but that’s for the user to decide the priority.

Regards,

Lindsay

3 Likes

I agree the NDX2 on its own is great. That’s what I started with and was very happy. But then my dealer offered a pre-loved XPSDR. When we took it home, it took the NDX2 to another level of excellence, so much so that my wife contributed her own mad money to cover 1/3 of the cost to purchase it.

8 Likes

Naim…My drug of choice.

G

7 Likes