NDX2 and Sonos 3

Question
Can you stream to Sonos 3 from NDX2 if all on same WiFi network ??
Cheers
B

No. Sonos is proprietary only Roon have reverse engineered to stream to it. It does not use upnp

1 Like

Although Sonos use UPnP, it’s a heavily customised version and so generally doesn’t interoperate,
The Naim multi room capability is proprietary to Naim, so the answer is no.

One somewhat different option I have used in the past, it to use a Sonos Connect, which has a general purpose UPnP media client. This client can read a UPnP media server, and your NDX2 can also read the same UPnP media server. However the playouts are decoupled and are not synchronised.

Another option to try is to use Airplay and stream to your NDX2 and Sonos speaker… but the control source will be your Airplay source. I have not tried this.

1 Like

I believe that the older Sonos boxes such as the 3 don’t support AirPlay 2, so the multi-room capability native to Airplay 2 isn’t available. If you have a later Sonos device as well, then there is a proprietary Sonos way of getting the more modern box to bring the older boxes into Airplay 2, I don’t know how it works.

1 Like

Unfortunately you are right, some Sonos devices support AirPlay, but the Sonos 3 doesn’t. Roon would work though, at a price, and might be a better option if you have a local music collection that isn’t stored on an Apple device.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.