Ndx2 + dac

It’s probably not far off… the PSU is slightly larger in the NDX2 which is always advantageous, I can’t remember if the SHARC processor used for the SPDIF out is the same…but it’s going to be pretty close. However for me the control and colour display of the NDX2 (and ND555) is really advantageous… and hugely beneficial with playlists on Roon and elsewhere without having to rely on a wretched iPad

1 Like

I was skeptical about the display but, after a ND555 demo some months ago, I agree that it is a very nice feature. Any experience with the NDX 2 as a Chromecast and/or AirPlay to S/PDIF transport? Thanks, nbpf

Not tried Chromecast, but Airplay works well enough…it’s not really for top flight/immersive playback…but not bad

Great, thanks!

Transports shouldnt need much power, so I doubt it matters much.

If all you want is a transport and you’re going higher up in the range for a display… Thats a $5000 or $10,000 display.

Yes it looks good…but not that good.

I had an ND5XS. I found that adding Hugo to it improved the sound enormously - more natural, some people said more analogue-like.
Then I replaced the ND5XS with a Mac Mini running Audirvana rendring (playing) software, with dedicated USB bus output. I found it needed an isolator to stop RF from the computer affecting the DAC, but with that it sounded better than the ND5XS. (I can’t comment on how it compares with other Naim streamers as a renderer as. Haven’t tried others.)

I still use the MM+A, but now into Chord Dave DAC and not needing the isolator, and it doesn’t disappoint. I did compare it with a Melco N1A also by USB, and didn’t hear anything obviously different.

1 Like

I found exactly the same with my NDX1 and Hugo1, I could hear why people may prefer with the Hugo but I found it a little too refined, I felt I’d lost some drive… and as an indie rock fan that was the decider for me, NDX bare…

1 Like

It sounds really interesting. I use a mac mini too. What do you use as usb rf isolator?
And what is mm+a?

I used a Gustard U12 (about £150 now I think), and MM-A was my abbreviation to avoid typing Mac Mini - Audirvana again in full! (Clearly failed!)

Yeah a transport arguably needs very good power , ie low impedance, if one wants to minimise powerline modulation crosstalk.
Naim have learnt this which is why they go for oversized power supplies on their streamers… Yes although Naim have now adopted LVDS in some of their digital internal interfacing which should help reduce switching modulation to some extent, it still will have an effect and of course there is the non LVDS circuitry and low frequency clock stability

1 Like

Hi simon
I use an olive 52…it seems to cope well with the detail info it receives from the ndx2 or ndx2-Hugo…my system is altogether immensely musical, joyfully so…I’m still preferring the ndx2 on it’s own although to be fair I haven’t spent a lot of time with the Hugo.

1 Like

Actually, if you want to go via Mac Mini / Audirvana+ route, you do not need to be bothered with SPDIF, USB, Optical, and USB Isolator (eg Gustard U12), and their inherent limitations, shortcomings, just use the Audirvana built-in UPnP and you are all set.

Mac Mini + Roon is another option, either way you can access and play your local library, Qobuz, Tidal (with MQA).

Excellent, it’s great we have the choice for what works best for us with new streamers. Enjoy.

Except the area where Audirvana really excels is as a renderer. Using UPnP you still need to have a different good renderer, whether a good full streamer or possible something like an ultraRendu into a DAC. Therefore there is no saving on the USB isolator when using an RF susceptible DAC like Hugo, indeed some other renderer will be more expensive.

As a UPnP player Audirvana’s only benefit over other UPnP servers is that it can do Tidal MQA first unfold if you want that. For playing your own stored files, effectively making the MacMini into a NAS, it hasn’t as good file handling as some other servers if your metadata is imperfect.

If you do want the MQA capability, it will work using Audirvana as a renderer with the optimised USB output.

The proof is in the pudding :grinning:

If in doubt, try iMM + Audirvana plus + UPnP, or MM + Roon RAAT, or MM + Audirvana plus and the problematic USB/Isolator, SPDIF, Optical

For me, the MM + Roon gives the best musical experience (after having tried all possibilities), all ethernet wired in my home LAN.

For completeness of infornation, what DAC do you use, and playing via Ethernet what do you use as a renderer?

Regarding an isolator, you suggest troublesome - what makes you usd that description? When I had a Hugo and needed an isolator, there was nothing whatsoever troublesome about it: the Gustard is a good, effective box, plug and play, does the job. From all the discussions on the forum it is clear that the same can’t always be said about streaming across networks, with people fretting over choices of cables, switches, switch power supplies etc.

I note you have identified Roon as sounding better. That is interesting because to the best of my recollection yours is the first post I’ve read that asserts a sound benefit to Roon, others either having been neutral or suggesting Roon may not be as good (I think yours have been among the negative sound quality comments) - but they use it because what they feel it brings in other ways is more important to them.

For completeness, what do you use as a renderer and what DAC ( a streamer?)

1 Like

IB I think you mean a non RFI sensitive DAC like the Hugo… it’s design with internal RF decoupling and internal power RF supply decoupling to mitigate cross talk and coupling is quite special… which I am sure has been carried forward to the later Hugos.
You shouldn’t confuse USB interface noise with RFI

In the context of using the Mac Mini, MM+Roon gives me a more satisfactory musical experience than MM+Audirvana because of its immersive user interface.

As far as the streamers are concerned, I own a couple, notably a Linn Klimax with Katalyst, and I find that Roon does not sound better than streaming directly via the Linn Kazoo.

And I also own a Hugo and a nDac, but they are now in storage due to the hassles and constraints of USB/SPDIF connections.

Hi Quinn, What problems did you have with USB to spdif converters?

Phil