NDX2 or ND5XS2?

I use the Naim app exclusively to control my Nova, and only look at the screen now and then. It makes me smile, and my friends think it is cool, but a screen is superfluous, and definitely not worth thousands more, IMO. I even wonder whether it is a good idea, given that everything else Naim does is to try to isolate audio circuits from interference and unnecessary electromagnetic fields. No digital inputs on many amps, no built-in phono stages on others. Separate power supplies. Etc. Wouldnā€™t a screen qualify as potentially generating an unnecessary magnetic field? Or at least diverting time and effort away from perfecting the audio circuitry? It just seems curious, given that Naim is otherwise like Henry Fordā€™s Model T - Any color you want, as long as it is black.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s the combo I am coveting. Hope to be able to acquire it over the next 2-3 years. Unless Naim comes out with a replacement for the 272, in which case it will be that streaming preamp plus a Power supply fed into a NAP 250 DR!

1 Like

ND5XS2 used as transport with Chord Hugo as external DAC ā€¦ superior to bare NDX2 (without external PSU)

Perhaps bare NDX2 with the Hugo is even better and it has a funky screen, but I canā€™t see it from my listening position :grinning:

1 Like

I found the same when adding the XPSDR to my NDX2. Eventually traded it for a Rega Aura and chord bridge. Finally pleased with my streaming.

Iā€™d go NDX2. I have had both the NDX2 and ND5XS2.

1 Like

I used to own a 555 and after a while just switched the screen off completely. Itā€™s just a bit gimmicky - Album art only, no further track/artist information.

3 Likes

Does anyone have experiences of comparing the streaming capabilities of the Nova vs the ND5XS2/SN2 or SN3?
[/quote]

If itā€™s any help the Nova draws heavily on the XS3 and ND5XS2 , that was a comment by Clare Newsome (or was it XS2) .

I have a Nova , and Iā€™m very happy with it.

5 Likes

NDS is relatively cheap these days albeit the old platform - sounds better than NDX2.

Gary

3 Likes

I was in same position regarding upgrading a streamerā€¦ I use Tidal. I ended up selling my naim dac and buying an. Xps-dr and NDS and find the result superb and better than ndx2 plus the nds has similar but better dac than ndac

3 Likes

Plenty of used NDSā€™s about - great value.

2 Likes

@Ian2001, Iā€™ve been meaning to ask whether you compared your WH Phantom speaker cable against the NACA5 on your Nova?

Hi Mike,

No I havenā€™t . This is an older picture (taken just as I was selling my Naim amplification) but it shows the cramped space, I had Naim cable at my old flat and gave it away as I moved back to this house (It was Mumā€™s)

Witch Hat Phantom has two distinct advantages for me. It sounds very good and is much easier and malleable than Naim or Chord Epic .

The combination of Witch Hat, Nova and Powerline is one that I am very, very happy with.

5 Likes

Thanks for having shared your thoughts and experiences with me.
i order finally yesterday the ND5 with a bad feeling and this i wrote to the owner of the shop who became a friend over the years and on vacation for the time being
y
he called me and after 5min convinced me that the ndx2 is a better choice (you may argue that he just want to sell his more expensive staff)
he own one himself and as some of you wrote it take a while until it opens up you experience a widder and smoother stage.

will see.
then after it is played in question will be with or without NDAC (se says definitively without) as well with or without PSU (did don t like at all)

3 Likes

Sorry Hallos, did you change your mind and go for the NDX 2 in the end?

Yes @Hallos. NDX 2 now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weā€™re about to rack up an NDX2 used as transport with nDAC. Also have 555PSDR incoming.

Extended listening tests will decide whether we stay with NDX2 into nDAC/555 or move to NDX2/555. We really want to keep transport and DAC separate though and ideally upgrade to an end game DAC in future.

There are loads of forum posts on which combo is ā€œbetterā€, or whether DR power supply is a suitable match for the nDAC. Have fun experimenting!

5 Likes

yes the shop owner convinced me to go for it

3 Likes

yeap

I think you made the right call for the long term. I did the same thing after back to back to back demos and there was just more. I am convinced id be trading the ndx5 in for it. I think you will be pleased, and then there is always external ps.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great news @Hallos. Iā€™d be interested to hear what you think about your NDX2 with your nDac, or whether you prefer your NDX2 without your nDAC. And you too @IainO :grinning:

1 Like