NDX2 or ND5XS2?

Hello @Chocky. Yes I will audition some soon. I just can’t bring myself to get rid of the nDAC though. It was s big investment to me at the time and second hand prices are pretty low. Realistically though, I have to keep it for a while yet. I’m saving for active ATC SCM40’s. I may look into a second hand non-DR XPS power supply and continue with it for a while. I feel like we may see a lot of new DACs and streaming products appearing this year - maybe even from Naim too. You never know. So no rush…

Hello @Stilts. That’s a very timely question. Next month the Supernait 2 comes down to the dining room-come-sitting room, to join the ND5 XS2. The ND5 is such a good transport. I really like it.

The Nait XS with the Flatcap (not XS) will be moved to another shelf to drive some kitchen speakers. It’s all a work in progress. The nDac which is in the lounge, is used for everything - TV, PVR, kids XBox, Innuos Zen mini in Roon player mode, Chromecast music Puc, SPDIF out of the telly etc - so it has to stay there for now. I’m saving up for the ATC SCM40 actives (probably ex demo). That’s my priority. Having said that, if an XPS power supply (non dr) came up cheap somewhere, I’d be seriously tempted to keep it for longer. And then a second ND5 XS2 would follow…but, then the call of the Chord Mscaler and the Auralic upscalers is strong. No risk though…

1 Like

If you have an M-Scaler and SCM40As on your shortlist the obvious thing to put in between them must be a TT2 (or Dave). You then no longer need a preamp as the balanced XLR outputs on the Chord DACs would be ideal to connect to the active speakers.

1 Like

I don’t wish to hijack this thread but I do wonder if Naim/Focal have some active speakers up their sleeves coming in the new year. Speculation with the email I received regarding a new Naim/Focal app

1 Like

I can’t see how a new app could interact with active speakers, unless they’re of the ‘wireless streaming’ variety, which would necessarily rob sales from Mu-So/Uniti etc.

Not something I would be interested in, but if it was, they would have to include a streamer to need a control app. I suppose that’s not impossible, along the lines of a Muso, and something similar has been done by Dynaudio and others.

Agreed but I think they have something up their sleeves. Could be just a marketing agreement(I hope that’s all). Personally I’m very very very happy with my ND5XS2 and can’t see me changing anytime soon. My speakers sound pretty good as well :star_struck: star_struck:

4 Likes

Que?

1 Like

Yes, this is likely to give a good uplift in SQ for a reasonable outlay.

I’ve tried Chord, Auralic, Bluesound and dCS dacs and steamers and all of them made the system sound worse.

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

Do you have the ND5XS2 Signal Ground Switch set to the Default position or the nDAC set to the Chassis position?

I have the latter and the ND5XS2 ‘Floating’.

1 Like

I have my ND5X2 set to ‘Floating’ as well. The nDAC set to chassis. I learned this lesson early on from a trusted friend @CharlieP

1 Like

The ND5XS2 isn’t galvanically coupled to the Naim DAC via S/PDIF so the setting on this unit isn’t as important as the one on the Naim DAC (which is providing the single signal ground to mains earth connection in the system when set to chassis)

2 Likes

You are likely correct, it’s been too long. I was having a slight hum from what I recall and it just sounded slightly closed in. Once I got the grounded correct everything sounded better. Nothing like ‘night and day’ just clearly better. My ears, system etc

2 Likes

Hello @ChrisSU. Yes I’ve been considering running something Auralic/Chord Electronics direct to the ATC’s, negating the need for a preamp. However, my instinct tells me that I’d miss that fuzzy distortion - for want of a better word - that a preamp adds to the sound. But I’m often wrong and I will definitely audition a digital product direct to the active ATCs. Of course I’ll feed back my findings…

Thanks @ChrisSU

Thanks @JimDog. I’m going to keep my eye out for one I think…

Interesting what you say about chord and DCS et al. And I see that you’re running a 555DR on your nDAC with ND5 XS2. Straight to 555? Or did you try an XPS?

Agreed @Chocky . It’s easy to get sidelined and stray from the path as-it-were. I am definitely keeping to the script and purchasing the speakers first. A timely reminder - good advice. :slight_smile:

Yes, I went straight from bare 272 to 555DR.

Never had an XPS.

Then moved to what I have now (via 252).

Only one way to find out!

+1.

Things feel…well…vulnerable to me in the old Naim camp somehow - I hope this resonates with a few of you out there. Of course, I’ve no evidence to offer, so I’ll keep respectfully silent for now. Yes, wishy washy armchair pundit statements are very annoying and I apologise for that (sigh), but I do so wish a new product and strong management direction would emerge soon.

2 Likes