NDX2 questions

Hey Josquin… how is the ndx2 sounding now that you’ve had a few days to audition it. Do you think it’ll be a keeper or do you plan on auditioning any other streamers?

I’m really quite impressed with it. What I received is a newly refurbished unit. I’ve been playing Roon through it 24/7 to break it in. I think I have to figure out funding a purchase. My wife likes it very much too.

My analog front end is still superior: more air, texture, richer, better detail. However, it’s three times as costly. I don’'t think I even want to audition a ND5-XS because I could see adding a XPS DR later to give it more of a lift towards my analog SQ.

I have positioned it to a shelf just above my NAC 282 on my brains Fraim rack. I might play around with location. I hope to have this on loan for another 5-7 days or so.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying the NDX2. If you decide to get one I’d recommend adding a 555PSDR if funds allow. It sounds stunning with the PSU upgrade and I expect will move it closer in performance to your analog setup

1 Like

That PSU is well out of reach. Even if funds allow, at best I might get a used XPS DR in the future. Vinyl is still my primary source. If I get the NDX2 the split will be likely 80% or so in favor of vinyl for serious listening.

with the xpsdr you have 90% of the performance. At least what i heard when i went from xps to 555 dr on my nds.

1 Like

I concur.

To be honest if I had the funds for a PS555-DR I would rather spend that on a Supercap-DR and a XPS-DR. That would represent a better upgrade for my system.

2 Likes

Newly refurbished ? Are there refurbished NDX2’s already ?

Almost certainly…returned units, not unusual in my experience.

Hmmm… You live and learn…

I am on my 3rd nd 555…it happens

Sure… repaired units I can understand… just surprised such a new device would undergo refurbishment so soon.

It looks brand new. Remote, cable, etc still in sealed packages (or they are new, or were resealed). The NDX2 itself looks like it was never used.

Glad you are enjoying it… Loving mine.

1 Like

Gazza, curious, what happened ?

First one the din output failed, took back to dealer, tested, tried a few things…Naim said replace…lucky our mutual dealer had one in stock. Then a guy in the U.S complained about a gold line down one side of the screen. So i turned my screen on…and there it was…everyone chimed in and said thats not right. Naim again replaced the unit…so thats number three i now have.
Latest, i noticed the two lowest right hand buttons were poorly illuminated at some angles and low light. Luckily the dealer unit was the same, Naim explained the fix and Andy tested on their unit. I took mine in yesterday, it was a 10 minutes job. There are foam dampeners behind the buttons which were misaligned…so hopefully thats the end of the saga. But i must say its so important to have a great dealer, with the right skill and knowledge. Hope your NDX2 has a better story, though do have a look at those buttons close up!

Hmm, interesting… touch wood no issues here apart from some beta firmware issues that have now been fixed… but that was self imposed.
I will check my screen… I don’t tend to look at it up very close… but I’ll make sure there are no gold lines etc. Button illumination is all ok.

That was my problem i am sitting 15 feet away and use most of the time with screen off. In well lit conditions it was not obvious…it’s just misalignment of the screen allowing bleed through down the edge.

1 Like

Even better than a dealer who can fix it, great though that is, is people in the factory who know how to put the equipment together properly in the first place. It’s a sad state of affairs.

1 Like

HH its a bit of a mullet of a design, asking for poor assembly…dealer unit had the problem, myself…definitely I will not be the last. They need a better damping design on the switches imo.