‘NDX2/Supernait 3 vs Uniti Nova’

Good feedback from all. I’ll likely be able to get a really good deal on the 250 if I go that route, which makes it extra tempting.

My dealer “made me” listen to a 250dr paired with a nova back when I tested the nova. It was a big step up to my ears.

My reason for going with the nova in the first place was to try and avoid the upgrade niggle. Oh well. I suspect a 250dr will be my next upgrade once funds allow!

1 Like

@BenU please don’t take my comments to suggest the Nova is not a good match with the Kanta 2s. It is, particularly with a power cord upgrade. The only reason I bought the NDX2 & SN3 is a) I got the NDX2 second hand for a really good price; and b) I was able to sell on my Atom + Focal Aria for a decent price too.

I’d recommend staying with what you have for now, seriously considering an upgrade over the next few months/year (who knows what will be released soon…) and if you then want to “invest” further and budget allows, perhaps keep the Nova for a second system (I did this and matched it with the Neat Iota Alphas, a great combo) or sell it and go down the 2 or 3 box route later (quite what the make-up of those 2-3 boxes could be may well depend on Naim’s changes in the next year or so). And… only after demoing your possible options too…

FWIW, the NDX2 + SN3 is absolutely stunning and given that I paid ~40% less than new list price for the two, it was a bargain I couldn’t pass up. Of course, if I replaced the SN3 with a pre/new-Linn-beating-streaming-pre and a 300DR it would be phenomenal, but that’s definitely not where I’m heading…

I must add that prior to going down the NDX2 + SN3 route, I demo’d a Linn power amp (Akurate 2200 with 110W into 8 ohms) on the Nova - didn’t change much at all, and lost quite a bit of the PRaT.

1 Like

A 5si….what utter nonsense

Right. The thought of adding separate amplification to the Nova would be a stepping stone that would ultimately result in the Nova moving to a second system, and a complementing (to the amp) streaming pre coming down the road.

2 Likes

Well, it happened. My facilitator dropped off a demo 250DR this morning and it’s now connected to the Nova’s pre-amp out. Looking forward to some good listening, I mean whisky.

6 Likes

Speculation but will there be power amps in Uniti/Statement livery?

That’s what I pray for.

As Naim are now selling more product under the Uniti banner and as the Atom has been embellished with the HE option, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a Nova HE next? Imagine a Nova with no power amp stage and the preamp stage updated to 282 level, with headphone and preamp outputs, what a killer box that would be. Would meet the need of the long-awaited 272 replacement, just add a 250 DR (or Statement derived replacement, as discussed) or active speakers (step in please Focal) and I’d think the Auralic/Linn DSM/CA Edge etc. market would really feel the pinch. Ching-ching all the way for Naim too I’d say.

4 Likes

I keep going over this question, after a dealer demos, I did not do it for me, but the past few months I have been considering just doing it, oddly the key element now stopping (aside from my view the SQ uplift is negligible), is box count.

I have a full fat 2 tier Fraim, housed my Nova and Innuos Zenith, but now I need another level to house my SR Ethernet Switch and if I went NDX2/SN3, I would need another level, then no doubt another later for power supply.

I just do not want that imposition into the living space anymore.

I did ask a few years back surely a SUPER Nova is due.

2 Likes

I think a Super Nova and a Super Super Nait are well overdue , though my rumour machine suggests that the fabled 272 replacement is possibly around the corner .

A Nova HE wouldn’t be bad either …

2 Likes

I could easily see a Nova HE being close to the same thing as an updated 272.

3 Likes

It could well be.

Maybe Naim will release both at different price points?

2 Likes

Just wish either ndx2 or nd5 xs2 had eARK HDMI

1 Like

How are you finding the 250 with the Nova?

Hi Richard,

sharing the same wish.

the ELAC HDX21 hdmi-analogue converter connected to the SN3 can solve the problem.
No review of this item at this moment as it only was released end of september 2022.