NDX2 Upgrade

I have to admit that I was not overly impressed with my bare NDX2. Once I added the XPSDR I was much more comfortable. I think adding the 555PS (and possibly ND555) is where I’d like to be. The cost/benefit of the 555PS is giving me pause and I may explore adding a dac instead.

I have had the same situation here as @Stephen_Tate has experienced, where I have become so accustomed to the new sound of the music since I have made an improvement, that I almost cease to notice the difference after a while. Especially when listening to certain genres.
Removing the piece of upgraded kit and hearing the original SQ, can remind one of the reason that they parted with the $5k in the first place. This can also be somewhat reasuring, at times, for my wife lol.

2 Likes

…FWIW

I would add the XPSDR to the NDX2 (NAPS555-DR only if you have the cash laying around). Also add a HiCapDR with the SN3.

The four box solution of a PS for the NDX2 with a HiCap and SN3 makes a very nice four box solution. Upgrade the interconnect and power lines if you have the spare cash and place it on a nice rack and you will have a beautiful and fantastic sounding system with your Spendor A6R speakers.

You did mention a 10K budget and as others have mentioned perhaps buying some pieces used from a dealer may give you more opportunities.

Good luck with your decision.

5 Likes

555PSDR incoming…

G

3 Likes

Much of this has been mentioned above, but based on my own experiences I would do the following:

1. Sort out the amplification first. I assume you will either listen to the products at your dealer or trial at home before buying depending on current circumstances. I would compare a Supernait 3 with a pre/power combo further up the range (say 282/200 (or 250)/Hicap). You mention that you want to limit box count and so did I but following a demonstration the pre/power combo sounded so much better to me (as you might expect due to the additional cost) I saved up the additional funds and discarded the box count issue. There is a recent thread called ‘New here and also to Naim’ where a guy compares the different amp combinations with an NDX2 and some Focals and gives his reaction.

2. If I felt further improvement were still necessary and funds allowed I would look at power supplies and external DACs. I compared an XPS2/555 and Chord Hugo on an NDX. I went for the XPS2 as I felt the system became to clinical with the Hugo and the bass became overblown with the 555. With different speakers and in a different room my choice might have been different.

3. If I felt further improvements were still necessary I would look at more expensive supports and cables (and possibly audition some new speakers). I was happy how it sounded and felt this step was unnecessary.

Hope this is useful.

I share that view too. The TT dac should hopefully provide a performance uplift with the bonus headphone amp capability thrown in.

Bit irritating that having spent 5k on a new network player, you find out the internal dac is lacking.

It’s not really lacking is it. Some people prefer something else, at which point though I’m not sure why they buy an NDX2

10 Likes

I would say that the only lacking is with details. Perhaps the reason of an late 90’s dac vs a modern dac.
But music is not only in details. Chord and Naim have not the same presentation and signature of sound.
If someone prefer adding a non Naim dac, I agree with you. Why having choosed Naim. Better buy a transport without a dac at the beginning, and choose another dac than Naim.

5 Likes

The NDX2 DAC is not lacking, let’s end that myth please.

14 Likes

…still curious why someone would buy a NDX2 and then state it doesn’t meet their needs and need to add a DAC. Did they demo? Did they compare products before selection?

At the time I upgraded from a NDX I had a demonstration of the NDX2 in the shop and at home before making the purchase and was very happy with the sound then and still very happy a couple of years down the road!

I will throw in the disclaimer that my view is one based on the fact that I was looking for a system to enjoy as I moved into my retirement years and not trying to reach audiophile nirvana. :wink:

7 Likes

It’s not. Once I bunged a Chord DAC on I preferred the presentation, but it was no ‘better’ or ‘worse’, just different (in a way I liked), and I couldn’t justify the expense once you factor in an external DAC (and so using the NDX2 as transport only).

1 Like

Yes, exactly. Good systems sound good and presentations vary. Why buy an NDX2 if you don’t prefer it’s presentation. Makes no sense.

6 Likes

Which is exactly what I ended up doing. I’m not extolling it’s virtues but for me it’s the ideal compromise (streaming transport with DAC of choice into Naim system) and I only wish Naim would offer this alternative.

2 Likes

I guess it depends where you start, if you already have a NDX2 it would make sense to utilise it as a transport if adding another DAC. If starting afresh I agree with you, having a redundant DAC makes no sense.

What I don’t get is paying 6000 for a machine whose sole purpose is to download a very-low-bandwidth data stream

Which machine, please? You didn’t specify a currency so hard for me to guess.

Sorry, approx 6000 is the euro price for an NDX2 (and it’s 5300 in the UK, so I thought it would be obvious)

That’s a wise move… I am increasingly under the impression that the road into the audiophile nirvana is paved with more doubt and discontent than happy hours of music listening… Obviously, just my impression from reading quite possibly unrepresentative threads…

9 Likes

Well, exactly. Either take it as a sum of its parts, or look elsewhere. I owned an NDX2, as I said, but once I preferred the Chord sound the spare change went on an MScaler which superlatives do not do justice (for me, it’s that good).

I still don’t really get why people buy a NDX2 I’d they don’t like the presentation of the DAC. Get an Aurelic transport or something for half the price and add another DAC. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of the NDX2 and the sound quality is first class. Add a power supply and it’s even better again. What’s not to love?

5 Likes