NDX2 Vs 555PSDR on a 272

Sure, I agree. It’s fun to speculate and try and reason ones way forward though.

Get a 555PSDR and an NDX2 and compare them at home is the way to go ofcourse.

Well if that easy it would have happened already :smiley:

1 Like

When we’re at it. Is there a major difference between a 555PS and 555PSDR when added to a 272? A non DR still adds a lot to the performance?

I used a 555PS for a short while but didn’t like the bloated, veiled and mis-timed quality it ‘added’. I thought the XPSDR much better with the 272.

G

3 Likes

I settled with a XPSDR for now and we’ll see how it goes. I for sure do not want bloated veiled mistimed quality if that’s what 555PS adds. Maybe the 555PSDR is a step away from that. Seems like in general Naim have moved from a warmer more bloated sound to a more neutral detailed sound.

The XPSDR I got is 10 years old and DR in 2015. Do you think it needs a service directly? Naim claims 12-15 years for the black boxes so not sure how urgent it is.

Difficult to say re servicing. I thought the higher-end 500 stuff was 15 years and the regular Classic 10 years but I may be wrong.

If it sounds right then just enjoy the music I guess.

G

It’s not 8 years for the dr new ps? My 555dr is from 2016/2017, and I have thought 2024/25. But I hope you are right.

From Naims www.

"How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome bumper (circa 1975 to 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years. "

Are the power supplies considered as black boxes? Apparently yes, but I have a doubt.

When Darran at ClassA handed me my serviced Nait 2 he said “see you in 15 years”

272 in combination with XP5XS and NAP 300 sounds great!!! Simple as that…, stop talking upgrade nonsense svp!!!
But what really sounds great is not streaming your favorite music but listening to music which you buy on Qobuz and put it on your Melco N1z…that’s a real difference in sound quality…So put your money on a Melco instead of bying new Naim stuff every 4 or 5 years!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.