NDX2 vs Majik LP

Is there anyone here that has both, an ndx 2 and majik TT? I currently own a project carbon debut esprit with ortofon 2m blue which I almost never use because it just doesn’t sound that good especially when compared with my bare ndx 2. I know my TT can’t and shouldn’t be compared to the ndx 2 but I was wondering if a new majik would come close to it? I wouldn’t want to spend £3.5k only to find that it’s still miles off the ndx 2. My phone is MM and quite like the idea of Soundek. The rest of the system is 282/HCDR/250DR.

A dealer demo would probably help you decide. The rest of your system is certainly capable of showing how good an LP12 is.

Do you have a lot of LPs?

2 Likes

A dealer demo is essential here. A Magik LP12 may well close the gap but dont underestimate how good the NDX2 is. I have an NDX2 (albeit with XPSDR) and a near Klimax level LP12. The LP12 is better, but the NDX2 is by no means embarrassed by it.

3 Likes

Very valid point.

You could also consider something better than your Project - such as a Rega… :thinking:

1 Like

I think it’s better to think they will end up complimenting each other in the long run, some albums will sound better on the NDX2 and others on whatever vinyl setup you end up with.

My Klimax near level is generally better sounding than my ND555 with 2 x 555PS but I have stopped comparing but I would guess the same would be between a bare NDX2 and Majik level LP12.

3 Likes

And, potentially, a better Phono stage.

1 Like

The OP has a Stageline (his Profile says)…? I think that will do… But YMMV…

1 Like

I used to use one, but felt it held the LP12 (much upgraded since) back. Was much happier after changing the Phono stage.

OTOH, the Stageline can be improved using a better power supply. I’m assuming the OP powers his from the Aux port of his 282. I used an FC2 which I felt was better. A HC would be better still I guess. But I believe there are some very good Rega Phono stages.

1 Like

I am a long term user of Naim’s built-in Phono Boards… (since 1982). Currently using 523 E boards in my 82… Work well… IMO… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Project turntables are probably the most selling decks WW.
Thats a pity really as most of them are poor build & sound.

Getting a 3K deck I wouldn’t limit to Linn only.
Even an LP12 can sound lovely they are getting ridiculous expensive when moving up the upgrade list.
Make sure to go for one with new bearing upgrade at least.
Don’t forget they are NOT plug and play.

I’d go listen to others too, such as SL1200G or the cheaper 1200/1500, Rega P6/8/10 , Roksan, Vertere (best deck I’ve ever heard) amo.

3 Likes

I never heard any built in Phono stages. Just was never happy with Stageline. Seemed to lack some sparkle, to me. It was an MC model (K I think) with an Arkiv B cartridge (which was better, thru the Stageline, than Arkiv A).

Once you are on the Linn treadmill it can get very expensive.

1 Like

You are allowed to jump off… :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have never understood this viewpoint. I have had my LP12 since 1990. I take it back to my dealer when it needs a new MC cartridge, that’s about four times. It may also have an upgrade at the same time, though nothing major. When I take it home it is plug and play.

Please explain what the issue is.

4 Likes

Same here… Unbox, plug in, connect arm leads, play… Simple.

2 Likes

Not the most impressive collection but it keeps growing. I think I would prefer Linn simply because it can be upgraded in the future.

2 Likes

Yep… Hence the use of the word “can”.

1 Like

The whole Linn upgradability thing can be a both a blessing and a curse, depending on your point of view but you seem to be going into it with your eyes very much open. Be aware, if you are not already, that the entry level Magik deck cannot play 45s without removing the platter and adding a 45rpm adaptor.

I have a Rega 10 and a bare NDX2 and they are both excellent. I never feel that one is particularly better than the other and enjoy both. How the Linn Magik package stacks up against the Rega I don’t know, but I’d expect it to be very much on a par with the NDX2. You’d have two really nice sources.

4 Likes

I think there has to be an acceptance that vinyl and digital replay are fundamentally different such that there cannot be a conclusion as to which is “better”. Personal preference, digital mastering, quality of pressing etc all have significant effect. I have no experience of the Magic but I’m sure it will perform in the best traditions of the Linn brand. However, I would recommend consideration of other TTs, the Rega 8 or 10, Vertere DG, Avid Diva etc all great products but with their own signature.

Good luck,

Lindsay

4 Likes

Bear in mind this was early in my Hi Fi journey, but I never really got on with the LP12. Started with Majik level but upgraded the PS to Radikal. I found it muddy and lacking detail. Upgraded the rest of the deck to Akurate level which improved it but still not for me. Very aware that this is not most people’s opinion and it is largely down to personal preference but there are alternatives worth considering.

2 Likes